Apple Ipad - So what do we think?

I kinda like it, but I haven't worked out who will buy it yet. Commuters? Older people who don' t need all the other functionality and cost of a normal laptop?

I think it will become clear over time, just like with the iPhone. Nobody really knew where that would go when it came out, but now it's everywhere. Be interesting to see how it develops...

I like it (so does my daughter and luckily for me her 10th birthday has just past).
Does it have any 'real' practical use? - not really. It's a toy in truth. Probably quite nice to have lying round the house.

Looks high in novelty value, but I can't see this one going the distance personally.

Really? I'm surprised you think that, this device is a huge game changer in my opinion.

I am a Apple fan granted but I really believe that this will do for Newspapers/Magazines and books what itunes did for music. But lets come back to this thread in a year and see what happened.

Don't mind me I'm just cynical :icon_sneaky: Even in the face of Apple's non-stop gravy train.

And yes it will certainly be interesting to see the take-up of this after 12 months.

I can think of plenty of uses, particularly for slobbing on the couch and using to read like a book. When not in use a digital photo frame. It's perfect for some one like my good old ma in law.

Hmm

Struggling to see the point in the iPad. Obviously not had my hands on one yet. However it does seem like another luxary item that to be honest is not really a huge leap forward from the iPhone. I'd much rather see people going mad over other things, even though i am a apple fan!

Ok there are many reasons I can see it being important, but here is a some details from a comment I posted in another forum that I think is relevant to this question...

There is abit of an unofficial debate going on about whether the iPad is important and really anything new and whether we need at all. I'm in the 'its very important' camp and I think this video below of a 2.5 year old playing with the iPad for the first time demonstrates a few reasons why.

This little girl has never seen one and although she has played with dad's iPhone before she's never used an iPad. I think this video shows just how important the device could be for everything from reading to photos to interactive learning etc.

There is alittle bit of screen slapping going on at the beginning but give her 5 mins and she has really got to grips with it very quickly. As all you do is ummm touch the screen :).

Very interesting video and also shows how this could be powerful if used in schools in part possibly?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pT4EbM7dCMs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pT4EbM7dCMs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Ok there are many reasons I can see it being important, but here is a some details from a comment I posted in another forum that I think is relevant to this question...

There is abit of an unofficial debate going on about whether the iPad is important and really anything new and whether we need at all. I'm in the 'its very important' camp and I think this video below of a 2.5 year old playing with the iPad for the first time demonstrates a few reasons why.

This little girl has never seen one and although she has played with dad's iPhone before she's never used an iPad. I think this video shows just how important the device could be for everything from reading to photos to interactive learning etc.

There is alittle bit of screen slapping going on at the beginning but give her 5 mins and she has really got to grips with it very quickly. As all you do is ummm touch the screen :).

Very interesting video and also shows how this could be powerful if used in schools in part possibly?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pT4EbM7dCMs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pT4EbM7dCMs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Firstly I'd like to point out that interactive learning is not a new concept. At least 13 years ago I remember there being interactive learning style computers to help children to learn to read/write/spell. This is not a new idea and quite frankly is apple trying to invent uses for an expensive piece of technology that has no real purpose. Its neither practical in terms of carrying around with you and is simply the merging of the ipod touch and the iphone. An expensive money making swindle to con those of us who need the latest piece of technology (whether useful or not) to make us feel better about ourselves and our lives.

I love my ipod touchl... it has it's place, it is portable, useful, easy to use and best of all looks great. And it makes my traveling a lot lot lot lot more enjoyable because i can watch movies and listen to music. It does what it needs to do... an ipad however would not give me any new advantages and i could not fit that in my pocket!!

That's fine you have your point and I have mine.

Just come back in 2-3 years time and let me know if you are not using this device or a similar touch screen type device that is pretty much a laptop minus the keys...you must see the over all advancement in technology and where its going here, surely?

That's fine you have your point and I have mine.

Just come back in 2-3 years time and let me know if you are not using this device or a similar touch screen type device that is pretty much a laptop minus the keys...you must see the over all advancement in technology and where its going here, surely?

I respect your point of view, and i do love technology. I am a technology whore, but with my macbook and ipod touch in toe... i cannot see the need for the ipad. And while the technology is no doubt moving forward i only see a rather useless and luxary item that has no real use when we already have such great products on offer. But hey... perhaps time will persuade me otherwise about the ipad??

:icon_dunno:

Fair enough, don't get me wrong I won't be buying one just yet as like you I have no purpose for one but if they make it as powerful as my macbook some point in the future I will get one.

I just see it as an advancement in how we use technology that can't be ignored.
It will have an impact on media and us designers.

It's got Amazons back up and Google are now developing one and to me that says alot.

Yeh i figured seeing as the iphone has in some regards tried to be replicated to some degree by other companies that the ipad would also get the same treatment although one thing i give to apple is no one can make things run so nicely in terms of touch screen like they do!

Back