Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iOS 7 - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by GilmoreVisuals, Jun 10, 2013.

1. GilmoreVisuals

GilmoreVisuals Active Member

Attached Files:

• ios.png
      ios.png
      File size:
      412.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Note, I'm an android and formally web os user
    flat design - but is it - it's meant to be 'layered' design.... Personally I'd say it's flat design with 'translucent panels' instead of skeumorphism lol
    new icons - nothing major there, they're basically the same rounded rectangle as before minus the gloss effects
    innovation - hmm.... nothing new from what I could see but they may have held back a few bits. I do like the security aspect iOS has, something android REALLY needs as standard.
    UI - they've finally fixed the issue with settings by giving you more of the stuff in the notification bar...
    opinion - it's best looking iOS so far.... but I was like....
    • quick settings - oh that looks very much like android/miui but it's at the bottom
    • translucent bits - reminds me of win 7 taskbar/windows etc also has a web os vibe
    • multitasking - windows phone which ripped it from web os (which even now is arguably the best multi tasking mobile os, so glad the main designer is now at android :))....
    • lock screen - what no swipe to unlock icon, it's now more like samsungs swipe screen.....
    • icons - didn't expect much here, pretty much the same without gloss
    • gyro linked moving backgrounds - I had that on windows 5.5 via an aftermarket home screen app, android has the same/similar effect minus gyro as standard and you can add the effect via a number of alternative launchers and live wallpapers
    • I did quite like the more 'type' orientated designs of their own apps what I saw.
    • Safari - it got tabs and full screen browsing....keeping up I suppose :p
    • Siri - lol, have fun with those results now it's linked to bing.... thats got to hurt die hard apple lovers who hate ms, they could have at least hid bing by using yahoo lol
    • I can see those dots top left being replaced for the traditional signal status bars too
    • auto updating apps (I'll assume option) - you didn't have that already....
    • more integration with os-x Mavericks... seriously stupid name....
    • file transfers - is it really any faster than an email if it's got to go through the apple servers anyways.... or drop box or in newer android cases wifi direct...
    Also a couple of things got me, the deisgn is very 'white', thats not really going to look as good on the black iPhone as it does on a white one....
    Will I switch - um no, I'm too tied in with ms software, where I should grab a windows mobile phone but I prefer android for my slate/phone... which is fine just means I need a couple of extra programs to sync ms/google contacts and appointments but I'd need itunes for an iPhone so no biggy.

GilmoreVisuals likes this.
  3. Matt Harle

Matt Harle Guest

I really dislike these new icons. They look almost cartoony now.

GibbonIt likes this.
  4. balders

balders Member

Weather-specific animations....wow, now thats innovation. My dads 2 year old htc desire has that out the box.
    All the screen shot are with the brightness right up, be interesting to see some real world shots with auto brightness on.
    Apple is getting more 'smoke and mirrors' and people lap it up. They have got some ok features and design but then should do with the amount on money they are sitting on.
    This shows a few screen shots.
    http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/10/welcome-to-ios-the-first-install-gallery/
    Saying all that, does anybody fancy a new Mac Pro?

5. Levi

that weather 'app' is already available.... it's the yahoo one so not even a apple app lol
    mac pro - I like the smaller form factor but the not so much the 'bin' look. In terms of engineering it's really clever, especially the central 'core' for cooling (bit like water cooling principles but using air), but you can do all this if you use non standard interfaces and ignore pretty much all the older inputs like dvi/firewire and require the purchase of adapters... I'd like to you have seen apple produce a small 'pro' box but using standard pcie sockets for the gpu's. It could have been a nice windows render 'node' for me if cheap enough (unlikely I've seen 3.5k starting price mentioned) if it used nvidia over amd for it's gpu's...
    You could say the pro is now a cube with higher specs, some of which are 'smoke and mirrors'.....
    The website for it's pretty nice though, no flash anywhere from what I could see....

6. GilmoreVisuals

I'm pleasantly surprised by these comments so far. When I first saw the new os I instantly thought 'oh, I guess Apple are playing catch-up with the flat design ( < forget about the technicalities for a second) and finally moving away from skeumorphism' then watched through the 8 min trailer with Jony Ive (trying to be as objective as possible) and concluded as pretty much everything is already available on android.
    I just wish one thing: If people could research before buying.
    Every single person I know (sure, that isn't everyone, but you get the idea) that has researched what phone/computer etc to buy it's always been android/pcs - forget about the price, especially on android things are really ahead and I think Apple are playing catchup now, not the leaders they once used to be.

7. Janifar

Janifar Member

UI is looking great but icon isn't enough good looking, :p actually. Gallery is plenty attractive to make it more attractive should change its icon. Other things are stunning and alright. :)

8. wac

wac Senior Member

The Telegraph said that Apple were standing on the Shoulders of giants with iOS7 and I have to agree. Firstly I do think it is a massive and long over due improvement and I do like it but I was kind of hoping Apple would come up with something entirely new and innovative but like Alex said, it seems outside of App availability, the iPhone has been lagging for a while though I'm pretty excited about the iWatch.
    On the subject of the new Pro I have to mirror Levies thoughts, in summary cool but probably far too pricey.

9. balders

balders Member

This is quite interesting.

'First of all, many of the new icons were primarily designed by members of Apple’s marketing and communications department, not the app design teams. From what we’ve heard, SVP of Design Jony Ive (also now Apple’s head of Human Interaction) brought the print and web marketing design team in to set the look and color palette of the stock app icons. They then handed those off to the app design teams who did their own work on the ‘interiors’, with those palettes as a guide.'

Sounds like the ui could change a lot before it's release as well.

10. Levi

I need to start charging :)
    Doubt the UI will change, just the icons if anything

11. The icons looks horrendous.. they remind me of the web 2.0 button phase.

DavoSmith likes this.
  12. GilmoreVisuals

Is it me or have they increased the rounded corner size on the icons?

13. Levi

14. balders

balders Member