Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Conference

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by glenwheeler, Sep 2, 2010.

1. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

So, whats peoples thought's on new from yesterdays conference. Am sure Timothy has a lot to day as he is very knowledgeable on this subject!
  2. Greg

Greg Active Member

What was the news Glen?
  3. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I was underwhelmed by all the announcements

I don't own any of their products, and the ones they've updated have got no more enticing. (iPad printing was the only thing that made me go ooo that's good, but I had assumed they could print before this)

iPod shuffle is now cheap and cheerful. Simplistic and functional (ish, why you'd want an mp3 player without a screen is beyond me)

Nano I'll have to try to know if I like it, I think it could be hit or miss, with the fanboys loving it, the general public may be neither here nor there about it.

The touch is a good upgrade, but I couldn't imagine carrying one aswell as a phone. Still not bothered by facetime (might be when more systems use it, if they do), Don't want to spend my time playing games. HD Recordings probably a good thing, but I don't record. Again it's not so much a bad announcement, just doesn't interest me, aswell as not enticing me to buy the product any more than before (note, than before, the products are still great, just not that much better than before)

AppleTV, meh, would be cool in america with netflix, and cool if I watched alot of TV, maybe, but I don't :)

Ping, meh, I hope it doesn't take off, I feel sorry for myspace and the effort they've put in to making their site more and more music based (and if it 'kills' that)

Your opinions?
  4. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

iPod shuffle - think it might be getting a little too small now, also preferred the previous version to the new one.

iPod nano - like the idea but think the screen size should have been 2x3 icons rather than 2x2 icons making it more rectangle - think big fingers could cover too much screen but I do like the direction towards touch screen. Ignoring cost, it's also only slightly bigger than the shuffle so think the shuffle may be on the way out next year if I'm honest, either that or we get a set of ear phones with a 5p size box attached for battery etc.

iPod touch - to be honest pretty much as expected, although they could have given it better a still camera (960x720 is rubbish) and kept the price at £150 or at least put 16GB in the base model. Still wish they'd lose the chrome back though. Will likely pick one up as I want one for testing a mobile version of my site when I get there.

AppleTV, will wait on the googletv to compare but might be an option to replace going out to rent dvd's, not much good for anything else in my case as I use mkv's for my video's etc and as per usual they don't support it unlike western digitial, roku etc. Not a major issue as it would be used in conjunction with a full pc with boxee/windows media center. Would be interesting to see if they can integrate lovefilm in the UK to replace netflix (or netflix goes global)

iTunes 10 - well it finally runs a little smoother on windows x64 - about damned time. Ping, couldn't give a monkeys over it.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

iTunes 10

That is all, thank you.
  6. Levi

I can't say it looks that much different on windows, the new logo does look rather poor though compared with my other media players though :rolleyes:
  7. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Compared to any of my icons, the iTunes logo looks 'poor' <_<
  8. Jeg

Jeg Member

Seen a few complaints about iTunes 10 now, the icon is lacking compared to others, but other than the icon, its not really any different, imo.
  9. tim

tim Senior Member

iPod shuffle:
    Nice. Its popular purely for quick travelling or the gym or similar, also good for young uns. Easy device to use and reliable.

iPod nano:
    Incredible. 16gb in that size is crazy, but more importantly I'm glad the beautiful touch screens apple have on a qwerky little device. I like not having my whole music collection on one iPod so I'm really happy about the size and how it hooks to nike+

iPod touch:
    So glad it's got FaceTime, gonna probably get one for my grandparents as its easy and the majority of my family have randomly bought the iPhone 4! HD video too is great, the camera blows me away on my iPhone.

Apple Tv:
    The size is incredible! Glad we've got a cheap device out with easy rentals and easy connection to all my media devices. Makes it so much easier to have this than have my Mac dodgily connected to my tv nearly falling off the cabinet :p

Great. Going to be great being able to share ratings and spread the word about good artists and good prices for music :) got 1m users in 48hrs!
  10. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

You're such a salesman Tim. Ping is crap compared to spotify.
  11. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I don't get the size benefit of the apple tv, once it's next to your tv, what difference does the size make, the same thing happened with the ps3 and xbox'

Heard about so many issues with ping its crazy.
  12. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

The fact that he is repling from san fransico shows some scary commitment!
  13. tim

tim Senior Member

Ping isn't even relevant to spotify, nor is iTunes. Spotify is a streaming service, iTunes isn't.

Ofc there's issues with ping btw but not ones that stop it from working well. Give apple a break its been out for 3 days!

And I'm replying from San Fran as my sisters rather ill, so I'm chilling with her at the hotel!
  14. tim

tim Senior Member

And the size difference is important, it's like my xbox, it sits on the floor as I already have 3/4 things on the desk like ps3/wii/DVDs etc

Apple tv will just sit calmly on my tv stand
  15. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I'm giving you credit for commitment wingus! I saw your photos from the baseball game, I am ridiculously jealous!

On topic, I hope their is going to be a choice, trackpad or mouse. I'm not a fan the mouse in general anymore!
  16. Levi

well I've been working out a way to wall mount it behind a tv as all my cables are run through the wall already and this is an 'extra'. I've got a second power cable but no hdmi (only did 3 thinking it's enough - it is really) so it's relative small size makes it easy to wall mount (I'll design and have it made if no one else makes one) in theory.

And yep, Tim is his usual sales person when it comes to apple :p
  17. ralphsaunders

Spotify lets you share music & playlists with friends... which is basically what ping does, right?

To show you what I mean...
  18. tim

tim Senior Member

not totally the same I don't think. that's more just linking, there's no artist profiles or ratings shared here, just a way to open to/stream a song
  19. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

the link actually goes to his full (public) playlist :) but still no artist reviews, there is a starred/unstarred feature, but not many use it :)
  20. ralphsaunders

@tim, you can see what I'm listening to and stuff like that, don't get me wrong, I wish Spotify would work on it a bit more, so I could add notes to artists I like and stuff like that. They should also work on their API, I want to be able to fetch information from my profile and put it on my site.