Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use Sketch for Mac, I have a question about it

Discussion in 'Apple Forum:' started by georgeuk, Jul 28, 2017.

1. georgeuk

georgeuk New Member

I tried doing a search, it's not working for me.

I'm interested in Sketch, just curious if I can do logos and simple vector cut out PNG images
    like I can in Illustrator, but in Sketch.

2. Wardy

Wardy Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it, always thought it was just a sketching tool for iPad etc, the name is a big misnomer.

Looks interesting. I would download a trial and have a look if I were you. Let us know how you get on.

3. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

I use Sketch, and really wouldn't recommend it for image/logo work. It has basic pathfinder and deconstruction tools and such like but is mainly intended for UI work. For logos and imagery I use Affinity, or when I really have to, Illustrator.

Be aware that Sketch has a perpetual licensing model which isn't always made clear. Essentially it costs about £90 a year to keep it updated, which isn't too bad. You can, however, buy it once and just never update it again and it will continue to let you use it.

4. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

@Paul Murray Have you ever run into the problem where a client requests the original file expecting a .ai when you have used Affinity?

It's the main issue for me making the switch, as you can never really know whether a client will request an original after completion or sometime in the future.

5. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Not really, but I tend to only use Affinity for logos which I can give as other vector formats anyway. Same goes for Sketch, I use it for all my UI/web designs but if it's something someone else will likely work on, then I sulk and fire up Illustrator. Though a lot of studios are now using Sketch alongside Adobe stuff so it's probably not long before it's a more common file format.