Anyone use BaseCamp?

peekaboo

Hi Guys,

For 4 years now at Peekaboo we have relied on the "whiteboard" and "emails" project management system, now we are pretty hectic and cant keep going this way and appreciate we need to use some project management magic!

I have been looking at BaseCamp for sometime now, but always thought, are we going to be disciplined to use this etc. Has anyone had success from it?

I guess im hoping people can give me their experiences of using it? How they started with it? And how beneficial it has been?

Any pointers would be great!

Brett

I'm using BaseCamp on a large project I'm involved in with three development teams in three different locations, and it's invaluable to share to-do lists, messages and files.

Every one knows what they need to do, where they are, where every one else is and so forth. So yes, it's definitely worth it's money!

Basecamp is great, but if your dev team are up to much you're better off building your own. Our guys have built a Sense company specific solution which is the ****:

+ Fill in timesheets
+ Manage contact details
+ Manage meetings
+ Weekly work planner
+ Manage/request holidays
+ Bug tracker
+ Company calender (see who's where and when)
+ Track go-lives
+ Order sandwiches from the local cafe

Build your own, it'll be better :p

Only a 2 man company Harry im afraid, made up of a front end designer and print/brand man!

So I think BaseCamp will be the way forward by the looks of it :)

Cheers
Brett

glenwheeler said:
Surely this is only used for larger companies though? Not freelancers...

Not really. BaseCamp is used by entities of all sizes, from one-man-bands to multinational corporations such as Coca-Cola.

not necessarily.

things like these are part of the investments you gotta make as a business i guess.

from the looks of it peekaboo are successful aswell (and pretty damn talented) so im sure they'll make their money back soon enough.

or were you referring to just the average freelancer?

if so, maybe it is, but once again everything yo buy is an investment.

Would it be worth the £15 for someone like me though? As a freelancer what so big would require something like that?

would you value your business being organised at £15 a month, is the question.

Harry said:
Basecamp is great...:

+ Fill in timesheets
+ Manage contact details
+ Manage meetings
+ Weekly work planner
+ Manage/request holidays
+ Bug tracker
+ Company calender (see who's where and when)
+ Track go-lives
+ Order sandwiches from the local cafe

Glen, there's a free version of basecamp. And Tim I dunno if you noticed or not but all the stuff I listed is stuff that our in house system does, not basecamp.

The guy I do freelance tried it, we both used it for a while, then realised a calendar on google worked just fine for the 2 off us!

We just put tonnes of calendar entries!

Cheers for the replies guys!

I think we have decided to go for it, got 18 projects on at the moment and getting a bit silly trying to organise it the way we are at the moment!!

Brett

is this being looked at as a collaboration thing or is it more for scheduling. There are some free options for both which might be worth looking at that run on php or similar.

I'll use ukhost4u for ease of reference as this where I initially found it all (and likely where I'll be hosting my site next).

Back