Anyone seen this without needing a php server

Levi

Staff member
As title - has anyone seen something that does this auto gallery for a folder without needing the php server - http://sye.dk/sfpg/
Think the idea is pretty simple for cd/dvd's with images if I can find one without needing a php server.

I had a quick look, they all seem to use PHP. Why can't you use those, is your hosting type limited or something?

nope, I was thinking about using it on a dvd for a file browser and a dvd doesn't have a built in php server :)

Ohhhhh I see, this makes sense now! Yeah there has to be a way. How exactly did you imagine this working? Have a HTML file display a gallery containing the images within a specified directory? I will give you some more info tomorrow, but now I need to sleep!

There's bound to be some clever work around but surely it would be easier to use one of the shiny idiot proof pre-made solutions that are never hard to find.

Well thats the thing, I'm looking for a non php solution.... I know theres got to be some option out there...
I know I could do it using pre defined names in a preset folder in a pre-designed html file... but that doesn't work if I want to keep the names that I'd already used and thats what I'd like to do.... plus I'd need to make thumbnails (not exactly hard) which that php doesn't appear to need :)
PHP isn't the way as that needs a server so I'm more interested in seeing if anyone has come across something similar which doesn't use it :)
It's nothing important, it's just one of those little ideas that pop up in my head while I'm browsing around the web looking at stuff for something else, but sometimes these ideas turn out to be the work of a genius.... yeah I know, that isn't often lol

I think because this is a rather unique set of requirements, you probably won't find a shiny idiot proof version. I will try to find out some more information for you when I speak with my programmer next! How would you feel about creating some sort of app with this type of functionality as well? I know lots of people have the internet readily available, but some times it's just easier and safer to have a physical copy of what you want to show when demonstrating your work to clients, or just showing them mockups/designs that you've for them which they need to be shown.

Well an app isn't really needed, plus you can run into mac/windows issues. The idea I've got is you can set a DVD to autorun the html file which is on the disk and they can just view the images there and have a link to the 'file explorer' if they wanted more info.... like I say it's one of those ideas that pops into my head and it's not really important.
This isn't for concepts this is for supplying final artwork to clients, think renderings etc, so they can use it as they wish.... and would be completely internet free. I supply video/images to clients but I never give my cad files unless it's in the contract so this approach to 'presenting' the final work on a dvd just seems like a good idea :)
It would basically go something like this
- I copy all the files to folder on disk + a html file that has all the code sorted to 'make a gallery'
- the client gets the dvd and sticks it in their drive, it autoruns the html file which then allows the client to see the 'jpeg' files so they know what to pick... yes I know most file explorers have thumbnails, this just seems more professional :)
- the client clicks a link at the bottom to be taken to the 'high res' folder and selects the required file or each 'jpeg' has a link underneath to download the high res one...
I know the idea is possible, because I can do it all manually in html, it's just is it possible to do it without having to hand code in each of the files, that can get tiresome after a LOT of files, like that php idea up top.... I suspect it is but I haven't seen the idea anywhere...

Yes, I understand what you want to do, but I thought more for tablets/mobile devices that it would be useful to have an app that has similar functionality. It was more of a development of your idea really, but it could be used for both, if it hasn't been done (well) already.
It's a good idea. I'll let you know more info when I have it :)

You could say that androids gallery app already does most of what I'm thinking about... it doesn't do the links or large files but it does do the auto collate imagery and has swipe options...
Suppose the whole idea could be easily adapted... even if you just take the 'package a web page in an app' approach. Where the app could then connect to a website via a login (client area) and then auto populates based on whats there...

I've spoken with my friend and we came to the conclusion that you can't do this with HTML/CSS and even with javascript, apparently there would still be issues, in that you wouldn't be able to load all files from a directory. What you would need to do is set up each file name once and then you would be able to change the images over without having to touch the code again.
Alternatively, you could use a different language like Python/C#/C++
It may well be possible, but we couldn't think of a way.

going to laugh at this.... went and had a look at this little known program called adobe bridge.... seems it has a website 'gallery' tool or a pdf file, both of which can do several options which would cover the 'preview' side of things if nothing else. Also looks easy enough to just tweak a few lines to add 'branding' if I wanted...
I'm sure if I combined it with a 'home' page that gave the option of opening 'file browser' or going to the gallery it would cover everything.... I may look into it a little more over the weekend

Back