Anyone here work in the game industry?

Jri

Hey!

Just mulling things over; the video game industry is one that has always fascinated me and one I'm trying to edge my way into from a graphics standpoint.

Just curious if anyone one here works in it, and in what capacity? How do you find it?

I work as a Game Designer. I'm currently making a few things of my own, but I'm not really professionally one.
I sort of angled my way into it by running a production company, and then using my existing passion for map making to work as one.

To get to the role in most industries you have to spend maybe 7 years working on a game

I'd look into working on indie games or open-source projects. Maybe find a game engine or framework you like and get involved with that community (I personally like Godot).

I'd love to work on games doing the interfaces and UX (so many have terrible interface problems) but I hear the games industry as a whole isn't a particulalry nice industry to work in. There's crunch time and tight deadlines and practically no job security. It's not uncommon for companies to fire a huge majority of the workforce and switch to a skeleton staff right after a game is launched.

I hear the games industry as a whole isn't a particulalry nice industry to work in

Yeah, I live near a few relatively large mainstream game studios, naming no names, but one in particular that has a really brutal reputation as an employer.

Back