Anyone have any idea how I could make a style like this in photoshop

MichaelMoore515

Hello, Im a 19 year old junior graphic designer hoping to replicate this sort of style for my own logo to begin my own thing, any help would be amazing I really like the style and would like to having something of the same for my own.82377444_504212226878810_5444182372679417856_n.jpg

You may struggle a bit in Photoshop, specially with those more detailed ones. You should really use a vector software. You can always do it the old-fashioned way
and hand-draw it and scan it in and then tidy up etc in Photoshop. Just search for 'monogram design Photoshop', I'm sure there's lots of tutorials.

Whichever way you do it, you need to put pencil to paper first and do lots of sketched ideas until it looks right, and obviously research some fonts first.

You may struggle a bit in Photoshop, specially with those more detailed ones. You should really use a vector software. You can always do it the old-fashioned way
and hand-draw it and scan it in and then tidy up etc in Photoshop. Just search for 'monogram design Photoshop', I'm sure there's lots of tutorials.

Whichever way you do it, you need to put pencil to paper first and do lots of sketched ideas until it looks right, and obviously research some fonts first.
Im hoping to produce the effects not the shape, the colouring / effects

19 year old junior graphic designer hoping to replicate this sort of style for my own logo to begin my own thing
Um being totally honest here... if you can't manage to reproduce those effects, especially the first considering it's basically a preset option which is available straight after installing photoshop, you can't really call yourself a junior designer and I sure as hell wouldn't recommend you going to do your own thing... which I assume means you want to freelance...

Last edited:
As soon as I read your post, my instincts were the same as Levi’s. Your question exposes your inexperience. In itself, that’s not a bad thing. We all have to start somewhere, but at 19, unless you are one of those rare protégés, then you are probably at least 4 years of education and a year or two of experience away from being able to call yourself a junior designer. i wouldn’t advise going freelance at this point. You make your own task positively Sisyphean and you cannot possibly offer clients a service that is honest and fair.

Having said all that, I am aware I haven’t even seen your portfolio, so you may blow my comments out of the water, but we’ve all seen posts like yours many times. My suggestion would be to harness and focus your enthusiasm and energy and learn your craft first before unleashing your talents on the world.

What is your experience thus far? Is design simply something you have a passion to do, or have you got any experience and/or education in the field?

When i look back at work I did at your age and juxtapose it with my estimation of my ability at the time, it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

In my first year of university, I was asked by a mate’s sister to ‘do a logo’ for her fitness class. I came across one of the letterheads I had done for her recently. It was truly shit. I am not saying the same is the case for you, but give yourself some time to learn. It is a very competitive field, so you need to make sure you are the best you can be before going out there. You definitely need a few years of real world experience in a studio after uni before even thinking about freelancing.

‘Jesus, I only wanted to know how to do a gradient fill!’

Hope this isn’t too disheartening, but if you don’t get all your ducks in a row at this stage in your career, then you will learn some very tough lessons later.

Well - we all need to start somewhere.

How about we give the help asked for rather than berating a 19-year-old trying to get into the game?

Welcome the forums young man - best of luck in your career!

Sorry, my intention was not to undermine or discourage. Quite the opposite (though re-reading it, the tone does sound a little more harsh than I intended).

We’ve all seen young people wanting to get into the field and not necessarily going about it the right way and learning their craft, whichever route they choose. Many try to get into becoming a freelancer before they have enough knowledge ore experience to really do so. It just means they open up a whole can of worms for themselves and make the way forward much harder than it needs to be, given how competitive a field it is. I always think that this can be avoided if they go about things the right way. There are enough experienced people around here who can help young people do exactly that.

This has a free months membership - and you can do whatever you like on it. Highly recommend it.

I agree, learning to walk before you crawl is certainly the way forward.

But I didn't see anyone answer the OPs query - except going to a youtube - which is the obvious answer. The OP came here for expert advice from experts in their field, and from what I see, they were met with contention.

Nothing wrong with good, solid, sound advice, but I wish it was just a bit more focussed on answering the query.

By the look of the top example you need to be using something like Illustrator for that.

There're really three things that are used to make these effects:

Gradients for the metallic look.
The offset path option for the outlines.
The Pathfinder Window for punching out shapes.

You can Google these for detailed descriptions of how they all work.

Just start with the letter.
If you've used a font for the letter then you need to convert it to outlines to make it a shape and not a letter.

A lot of it seems to be using the Offset Path option to get the outlines on the letters and similarly for the gradient areas.
You just need to add a positive value to make it outside the shape and a negative value to make it inside the shape.

For that sort of metallic fill you'd use the gradient fill at an angle. Illustrator has a number of these already built in or you can make your own.

On the top example (the A) there is a black accent to the upper right of the gradient.
To get that, you'd just need to select the gradient fill and make sure it's a "compound path" > copy > paste in place so it's over the top of the original and then nudge that down/right a bit.
Then select both shapes and use the "pathfinder" > minus front option.
This will punch out the top shape from the bottom one to give you that.

One little thing to remember:

When using the Pathfinder, and you're using it for two separate shapes/paths, make sure they're set to a "compound path".
This makes Illustrator see them as one shape/path and not two.

If you struggle just give us a shout on here and we'll help you out and walk you through it.

Um being totally honest here... if you can't manage to reproduce those effects, especially the first considering it's basically a preset option which is available straight after installing photoshop, you can't really call yourself a junior designer and I sure as hell wouldn't recommend you going to do your own thing... which I assume means you want to freelance...

LOL! My lad is almost 17 and on a multimedia design course at the moment.

So...I send him a Dribbble invite to help him out and encourage him.

He makes his first post. Some UI design which isn't half bad to be honest.
He says to me: "When you post on Dribbble, do they promote your first post"
I say: "No...I don't think so, why?"
He says: "It's got over 5,000 views, 80 likes and 5 saves"

I was like: :oops:

He's only been on his course for six months and already got his first freelance gig designing a website for a heating company.

Normally, I'd totally agree with you @Levi but WTF?!?! :unsure:

LOL! My lad is almost 17 and on a multimedia design course at the moment.

So...I send him a Dribbble invite to help him out and encourage him.

He makes his first post. Some UI design which isn't half bad to be honest.
He says to me: "When you post on Dribbble, do they promote your first post"
I say: "No...I don't think so, why?"
He says: "It's got over 5,000 views, 80 likes and 5 saves"

I was like: :oops:

He's only been on his course for six months and already got his first freelance gig designing a website for a heating company.

Normally, I'd totally agree with you @Levi but WTF?!?! :unsure:
It could be one of those situations where 'professionals' have posted it to a forum as an example of 'how not to do it'.... we've done it on here a few times :p

There's also a lot of automatic crawling of stuff these days giving false readings... or it could be like facebook inflating numbers to get people to use the platform.

In all honesty social media is quite comical, people can post the most useless thing (the egg...) yet because someone has decided that this social person is 'popular' (think kardashians who literaly haven't done anything other than 'be famous' and of course the video) they can rack up a massive number of followers and likes even though all they're posting is the most pointless drivel and adverts for stuff they're selling....

I dunno?

I asked if he'd posted it anywhere else and he hadn't.
He even had a lot of positive comments.
Real ones. Not just C+V like baits.

I'm still confused but I wish I knew his secret?

I dunno?

I asked if he'd posted it anywhere else and he hadn't.
He even had a lot of positive comments.
Real ones. Not just C+V like baits.

I'm still confused but I wish I knew his secret?
He's young and lets be honest social media isn't exactly for us oldies lol... it could be something as simple as he told a few people on his course that he's on dribble, go take a look etc and it's spread from there.

There also seems to be this thing where some people will comment and it's not so much about who or what they're commenting on but more about getting their own name seen by as many people as possible in the hopes of getting likes back etc. Hell I've seen some instagram pages which literally say if you follow me, I'll follow you....

Back