Anyone Had Any Experiences With IACTonline Courses??

xJaydeex

As above, im wanting to do a course to get me into photoshop, illustrator indesign etc and wondering if anyone has done the IACTonline courses....

Irish based company - can't vouch for online courses though.

I did a webmaster course with them back in 2007, it wasn't online.

Here's what happened - the tutor tried to show how to clone out a beach scene by sampling a piece of sand and use the paint brush to paint over it. His attempt looked like a yellow blob on the screen. I promptly pointed out that the stamp and patch tool would be better and he admitted he could never get the hang of it. Which was worrying.

Also had another tutor for InDesign - now I don't need any training in InDesign, it was a company thing. However, I went anyway just to see perhaps there's something I could pick up on. I ended up teaching the tutor for about an hour after every class.

Are they good - yes for beginners. But if you're in anyway advanced then skip it.

Plus - if you are doing the tutorials online - check out other techniques and methods for each of the lessons.

Irish based company - can't vouch for online courses though.

I did a webmaster course with them back in 2007, it wasn't online.

Here's what happened - the tutor tried to show how to clone out a beach scene by sampling a piece of sand and use the paint brush to paint over it. His attempt looked like a yellow blob on the screen. I promptly pointed out that the stamp and patch tool would be better and he admitted he could never get the hang of it. Which was worrying.

Also had another tutor for InDesign - now I don't need any training in InDesign, it was a company thing. However, I went anyway just to see perhaps there's something I could pick up on. I ended up teaching the tutor for about an hour after every class.

Are they good - yes for beginners. But if you're in anyway advanced then skip it.

Plus - if you are doing the tutorials online - check out other techniques and methods for each of the lessons.

Thanks for your reply, I am a beginner so I would obviously learn something from anyone/anything at the minute but there is a 7 day free trial so I wonder if I should try that first as the course is £399 inc exam it says, iv been looking for a while now for online courses but not sure which route to take as I need to be able to learn around my children whilst im at home at the minute but cant seem to find any good companies that have been recommended or the fees are out of my budget at the moment and with me not knowing anything yet im unsure what's what so thought id ask on here so I appreciate your reply that's a great help! :)

Sign up for Lynda.com first. That will give you the basics. And then try an online course.

Best to have the basics before doing the course.

Yeah I was thinking about doing that but didn't want to be paying every month for creative cloud & Lynda aswell if it wasn't very good but a few have recommended it now so I may try that first and get to grips with things before the course, thanks for your advice.

I'm nearly sure you can get a 7 day free trial - look it up :)

Will have a look :) thanks, just found Designcourse.com too 1-2-1 mentor training but not sure how good that would be either. too many options for me to know what to go with but ill get the free trials etc first so like you say, I know my way around things and get the basics first! thanks again.

Well don't forget the basics are usually just the basics. You can pick up a lot of bad habits, like working photoshop for logos etc.

Best bet is to hit up local companies and ask for work experience. You'd learn a lot more that way.

Back