Anyone had any experience of surface pattern/gift wrap design?

lula

Hi all
I have a meeting with a gift wrap company about the possibility of designing for them and also supporting their in-house artist with getting designs to print (so far the artwork has been produced by their manufacturer, overseas). They know designing for surface pattern is not my speciality but even so I'd like to go there armed with some insight into artwork/production issues. General googling has so far proved unhelpful! Has anyone had any experience in this field, or can anyone point me to a website which will tell me all I need to know about gift wrap design and manufacture?

Might be worth contacting this guy Dale Simpson Illustrator - HOME i know he does gift wrap design. Might be helpful give you some tips, admittedly I know very little about it, however I can see it being a lot different to designing photo shop patterns etc.

It's obviously just the printing and layout of it i guess...

I know Dale.

Just one thing though Glen.

Dale isn't a guy she's a girl but I know she gets that a lot:)

I've done illustration for gift wrap before but the actual artwork and pre-press was done in the artwork departments or by the manufacturer.

I've done give wrap designs also....Stingray, Thunderbirds, Star Wars and the like back in the day.
All artwork was worked up in Illustrator to a standard printer repeat template.
What's the name of the company by the way?...I was with Gemma International for a while back in the '90's.

scotty said:
I know Dale.

Just one thing though Glen.

Dale isn't a guy she's a girl but I know she gets that a lot:)

I've done illustration for gift wrap before but the actual artwork and pre-press was done in the artwork departments or by the manufacturer.

LOL oh my bad!

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Typo - it's just a small local company - better not say who in case they find me out! BTW didn't Gemma International win Eurovision?

Back