Anyone else suffer like me? - logo woes.

Helen

Don't know about anyone else, but I HATE designing stuff for myself.

I am truly my own worst critic. Take for example a logo I am designing for myself at the moment. It's on it's 4th re-design already but I'm still just not happy with it.

Does anyone else suffer this kind of problem or is it just me?

a tip

don't lose the professional attitude and if you will keep that in mind - you will be able to make logos for yourself as fast and as easy as you do for your clients

p.s. perfect things are utopy - finish the job and move forward :)

The only good thing about designing for yourself is that you can change it as many times as you want.
The only bad thing about designing for yourself is that you can change it as many times as you want.

The only good thing about designing for yourself is that you can change it as many times as you want.
The only bad thing about designing for yourself is that you can change it as many times as you want.

lol! Very true! Not always a good thing having unlimited mocks and changes! I am my worst ever client.... and I'm not even getting paid for it!

I never have time to design for myself - let alone have time to change it. Before my recent redesign of my website (a couple of months ago) the last time I'd updated it was 2006.

I started redesigning it 3 times before finally making a big push to get it finished and so far its paid off really well in terms of closing on leads.

You can also get too close to your own site that you lose perspective. I had to have somebody outside giving me opinions in order to get it to where it was now.

- Stephen

Designer Woes

Helen,

I have heard many times that the best designers are the ones that are constantly improving.

There is nothing wrong with having many different versions of a design but it is important to think clearly about what you are designing and then coming up with a concept, structure and aesthetic style and moving forward with it. Try not to get stuck on just one part as a great concept without execution is just useless, and vice versa.

If you are designing a logo it may help to sketch lots of ideas. This way you can very quickly get lots of ideas down (even the bad ones) and you will not spend ages fine tuning a logo that you will change anyway.

Try not to worry about lots of different versions but have confidence in your ability to know when you have completed the brief.

P.S. If you do produce lots of versions make sure you have a good file structure in place, nothing more annoying than trying to find a version you were working on amongst a mass of unorganised files ;)

Think clarity & simplicity.

Closes your eyes for 10 seconds.. :icon_hide:

open them for 3 seconds & close them again.

With you eyes closed what do you remember..

Colours ?

font ?

text ?

image ?

Now what is you want folks to see first...

Sorry if this sounds tripe but it works.. no honestly:icon_blushing:

Im my own idea of a nightmare client! I can see exactly what I want in my head but cant translate it to paper or describe it.......

It's certainly harder to design for yourself than for a client I find.

Trying to decide on what you want to communicate and what you're all about is difficult without an outside view.

Make sure you give us a shout when you're done, would love to see it Helen.

Im no designer, but i find it hard to even find a nice colour set out for my site, i refuse to open it untill i do.. its been what? good 2-3 years maybe?? :( damn my dedi server just kaining my money lol

Up untill recently most of the stuff I was designing was based around gaming and I'd do sig's etc for friends etc. When designing stuff for them it was pretty easy as you'd take their name and personality and come up with something which showed who they were. When designing for myself I can sit for hours changing stuff, scrapping the whole thing then starting over, trawling through the internet for ideas, but my main problem is fonts. I can spend ages just sifting through endless fonts trying to find something which "feels" right.

My latest website I built I spent two weeks trying out different styles before settling on the one I currently have. I agree 100% that sometimes the hardest client to please is indeed ourselves.

Back