any suggestions on how to create this in illustrator?

fresh-off

Any suggestions on how to create this (see attached image) in Illustrator? Just the spiral "tube" grid part.

A tutorial would be great! I'm not sure what to call the "spiral tube grid" thing tho.. so not sure what to search for!

Photoshop tutorials/suggestions would work too.. but if possible, I'd prefer an illustrator solution!

Thanks!

:)

Attachments

• timeline.jpg
    timeline.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 38
It's really very easy to do in AI.

You use the "3D revolve" function in effects.

Draw half the shape you need. For example if you wanted a globe you'd draw a semi-circle. A tube would be a rectangle.

(The 3D engine in AI spins this shape around its left hand edge to get the 3D Shape)

Make sure the path is closed and it's the right hand half of the 3D shape you want and set the solid colour to something like a light grey and get rid of the line.

(To get a flat axis, punch out the left hand edge with a rectangle and don't forget to expand)

Go to "Effects" and select "3D Revolve" and you'll get a pop up with all the settings.
Click "preview" to show what your doing.

Use the cube thing to set your angle in space.

(You can go back to the shape at any time to edit that to get the shape right.)

Once you are happy with the angle of the 3D shape go to "More Options" and at the bottom is a "Surface" menu.
Select "Wireframe".

On the artboard you'll still be able to tweak the points and the shape but use the "3D revolve" to adjust the angle in space.

If you're happy with the look go to "Object" and "Expand Appearance".

(If you make a copy of the shape before expanding it you'll be able to go back to it if needed)

That's it.

Quite fun to do :D

This took a couple of min to make.

Note. I used CS and to break apart the grid once it's expanded you need to un-group it which will break it down into its sections and to edit those further (line weight) you'll need to go into "Object" and hit "Clipping Mask" > "Release".

Phew!

Attachments

• 3D-Mesh.jpg
    3D-Mesh.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 15
scotty said:

Draw half the shape you need. For example if you wanted a globe you'd draw a semi-circle. A tube would be a rectangle.

(The 3D engine in AI spins this shape around its left hand edge to get the 3D Shape)

Make sure the path is closed and it's the right hand half of the 3D shape you want and set the solid colour to something like a light grey and get rid of the line.

(To get a flat axis, punch out the left hand edge with a rectangle and don't forget to expand)

Go to "Effects" and select "3D Revolve" and you'll get a pop up with all the settings.
Click "preview" to show what your doing.

Use the cube thing to set your angle in space.

(You can go back to the shape at any time to edit that to get the shape right.)

Once you are happy with the angle of the 3D shape go to "More Options" and at the bottom is a "Surface" menu.
Select "Wireframe".

On the artboard you'll still be able to tweak the points and the shape but use the "3D revolve" to adjust the angle in space.

If you're happy with the look go to "Object" and "Expand Appearance".

(If you make a copy of the shape before expanding it you'll be able to go back to it if needed)

That's it.

Quite fun to do :D

This took a couple of min to make.

Note. I used CS and to break apart the grid once it's expanded you need to un-group it which will break it down into its sections and to edit those further (line weight) you'll need to go into "Object" and hit "Clipping Mask" > "Release".

Phew!

It looks ok, but you can't 3d move / rotate it in Illustrator.

Rhino also will do the trick.

WEBIAN said:
It looks ok, but you can't 3d move / rotate it in Illustrator.

what..... first you say you need autocad (you don't), then you say rhino even though scotty just showed how to do it in illustrator. You also suggested 2 programs that I would bet 99% of this forum don't use let alone own.....

You don't always need 3d apps to produce '3d' images :rolleyes:

ParkerButler said:
Illustrator is handy for the 3D, Cinema 4D its what i would use.

Parker Butler

i've never used Cinema 4D, and dont have much experience with 3D programs... I do however pick things up quickly and have access to Cinema 4D. Do you know of any Cinema 4D tutorials to achieve the effect?

scotty said:

Thanks Scotty! I was able to produce one and it looks "okay"... think i need to play around with it some more!

WEBIAN said:

whats Rhino?

fresh-off said:
whats Rhino?
well it's an animal last time I checked :p

In this instance though it's a nurbs 3d modelling package similar to cinema 3d

Back