Any recommendations for fitness sites/forums?

Jri

Jri

I'm looking into getting into really good physical shape and am trying to plan it out long term.

Whilst I am not currently 'unfit' by any stretch, I still don't have much expertise in the areas of planning diets/routines or technical experience of things like form when weight lifting etc...

Can anyone suggest a good forum/site for this kind of ongoing feedback on fitness?

(I'm not planning on leaving GDF for a younger, fitter forum, don't worry - just need advice in a different field).

Paul Murray

Paul Murray

Staff member
The only exercise I get is lifting myself out of my seat once in a while. The heart sure starts pumping when a deadline looms or a server goes down though.

Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct

Administrator
Staff member
The only exercise I get is lifting myself out of my seat once in a while. The heart sure starts pumping when a deadline looms or a server goes down though.
I'm the same mate, not good really, so busy these days that sometimes I only leave my chair in a whole day to go to the toilet!!

hankscorpio

hankscorpio

Staff member
I'm looking into getting into really good physical shape and am trying to plan it out long term.

Whilst I am not currently 'unfit' by any stretch, I still don't have much expertise in the areas of planning diets/routines or technical experience of things like form when weight lifting etc...

Can anyone suggest a good forum/site for this kind of ongoing feedback on fitness?

(I'm not planning on leaving GDF for a younger, fitter forum, don't worry - just need advice in a different field).
Well, I'm a former world kickboxing champion and karate champion so I know a few things (y)

There is no one routine or diet that's magical.

What are you looking to get into shape? Big muscles, run long distances, run short distance, lift weights, or tone up, etc?

For example, I once trained solidly on weights for 6 days a week, 20-25 minutes per day, and strict diets that changed; basically, high-fat diet for a few weeks, then a low fat diet, then a different type of diet and all that.

After 3 months I was running 12km in 50 minutes, then upped that to half marathon and eventually a marathon which I finished in under 3 hours.

All took 12 months total.

In short - there's many ways to get fit and all that - but everyone is different and not everyone likes lifting weights, and not everyone likes running for 3 hours.

I never cycle though - the bicycle is the devils tool.

Jri

Jri

I'm the same mate, not good really, so busy these days that sometimes I only leave my chair in a whole day to go to the toilet!!
Shocking, get a catheter you slacker!

Well, I'm a former world kickboxing champion and karate champion so I know a few things (y)

There is no one routine or diet that's magical.

What are you looking to get into shape? Big muscles, run long distances, run short distance, lift weights, or tone up, etc?

For example, I once trained solidly on weights for 6 days a week, 20-25 minutes per day, and strict diets that changed; basically, high-fat diet for a few weeks, then a low fat diet, then a different type of diet and all that.

After 3 months I was running 12km in 50 minutes, then upped that to half marathon and eventually a marathon which I finished in under 3 hours.

All took 12 months total.

In short - there's many ways to get fit and all that - but everyone is different and not everyone likes lifting weights, and not everyone likes running for 3 hours.

I never cycle though - the bicycle is the devils tool.
I too kickboxed as a younger man, enjoyed it too, but I think I lacked the killer instinct to compete as such. I went on to the much more passive aggressive martial art of university art crits.

My cardio is pretty good, but I consider my build to be physically slight (I'm 6 ft, and just under 12 stone). My current plan is to gradually adjust the ratio of exercise I do in favour of weight training, while simultaneously adjusting my diet to facilitate bulking up a bit. I know that with weight training, technique is particularly important for maintaining safety and not over/under developing in certain areas - this would be one of the principle areas in which feedback would be appreciated (which admittedly would be tricky without having a spotter or something present in the actual gym session).

hankscorpio

hankscorpio

Staff member
This is the company I initially did weight training workouts with - they are in England. It is a bit expensive .
http://educogymcity.com/

They would do nutrition, your weight training, etc.

It's very strict.

All in all I was paying about €55 a week (if you break it down). But you do pay up front for 4 months or 6 months or 12 months etc. and there's a monthly fee - it's all explained when you meet them don't ask me to break down the London prices.

Anyway - €55 a week sounds expensive. But at the time I was spending €30 a week on training sessions kickboxing, and spending about €100 a week on drink/food etc.

Once you start this gym you knock other training out of your schedule - and you kick all the drink and takeaways etc., bad cooking (as you have a list of foods you can only eat etc.)

It sounds expensive, but I acutally saved money doing it.

Best thing I found about it was that it was around the corner from me, and only took about 20-25 minutes start to finish (including getting shower/changed etc.)

hankscorpio

hankscorpio

Staff member
Day 1: Legs (4 exercises)
Day 2: Arms Shoulders (5-6 exercises)
Day 3: Chest and Back (5-6 exercises)

5 minutes on each - train to fail (that is 3 reps on each. Lower the weights if you have to on 2nd/3rd set).

You record what weight level started at - then each week your trainer would put the weight up on the exercises.

Best thing I found there was only room for max 6 people at a time. And most times it was 1-4 people - so you got good one-on-one training with the trainer.

You'd also have fortnighlty or monthly checkups.

I found it amazing - and as soon as I get the house we're trying to buy I'm signing back up.

hankscorpio

hankscorpio

Staff member
Checkups is a weigh in and a chat with the trainer about progress. They'd set you goals, new diets and stuff like that.

If a particular exercise doesn't suit they change it up to suit you - for instance I have a bad back and couldn't do the standing squats, so I did leg press instead.

The only thing I didn't really like was that they push their own brand of supplements on you. It's fine for the first while and probably does help - but they can be a bit expensive.

However, the chocolate protein powder is gorgeous. And the Braggs Amino Acid (similar to a Soy Sauce) is delicious on a stir fry. Guess if you're into taking supplements then they have nice things. But you can probably get the same thing cheaper in a health store.

hankscorpio

hankscorpio

Staff member
An example of the diet I was on the first time I went there

Breakfast - High fat diet
1/2 Grapefruit first thing in the morning.
Wait 30 minutes

4 streaky rashers
2 eggs (cooked anyway, poached, fried etc.)
1/3 tub philadelphia cream cheese

Or make an omlette out of it and include onion, scalions mushrooms etc.