Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any hardware guru's?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by glenwheeler, Aug 9, 2009.

1. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Hi Guys,

I am having a problem with a laptop that ive been given and its running very slow. I fully formatted the laptop and have installed all drivers back on to the system. The laptop was running at super speeds after the format for about 1 hour and then the slowness kicked in again. When this happens winodws desktop appears and it takes about 10 minutes for the taskbar etc to load up. They keyboard and mouse then stops but reacts to clicks etc about 5 minutes afterwards which makes me think there is a memory problem!

When i went to take the back off the laptop, to access the memory, screws were missing so i am assuming someone has been messing about with it. I have looked up the memory type and it should be 200 Pin SO DIMM DDR2 PC2-4200 533MHz however when i look the memory in the laptop is PC2-4200S would this be a problem? Since then I have swapped both 512mb sticks round and it seems to be running great again! However this might not last long and only be a temporary fix. Is there anyone here who can offer some advice?

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 1640, Ive looked up the memory on Mr Memory and this is what i got;

200 Pin SO DIMM DDR2 PC2-4200 533MHz

Thanks Guys,
    Glen Wheeler
  2. br3n

br3n Senior Member

This is my guess: there may have been an error with the memory causing one to run slowly? I know that if you have two different speed rams they will both run at the lesser speed. SO perhaps when you moved them round it sorted it out somehow? who knows... lol
  3. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

hmmm, thats a possibility br3n, ermmm....i think am going to run it for a few hours and see what happens. :)
  4. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

right before my hard drive died, everything ran at a cripplingly slow pace...

not to worry you or anything glen.
  5. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

ram or hard drive is dodgy. Run memtest x86 on the ram and find a S.M.A.R.T. app or manufacturer tool to check the hard drive.

You don't say which os is being used but I have had slow downs with kaspersky and vista x64 before too.
  6. blueocto

blueocto Senior Member

Sounds like a memory issue, then again Acer is shit (hence the cheap price) so it could just be that its made by them lol
  7. charles

charles Senior Member

poss memory or hd as above, i would usually put a new hd in rather than format on os reinstalls as will always run faster, especially if you can up rpm. check fans working as well as i had an acer which fan died on.
  8. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Thats a point actually, my graphics card fan died and it all slowed right down...