Any books/publications recommendations?

makemassair

Hi, new here and new to wanting to freelance. Been thinking about it for time, usual story. Knee deep in the s**t that is the rat race and my talents and interests lie elsewhere.

Basically I'm looking to set myself up as a video post production and graphic design business primarily, but to go off into related areas as required. Including photography, podcasting, videography, web compression for video, etc....

Anyways. What I am planning first if to go semi-freelance, get a job a lot closer to home (currently my commute is 4 hours standard a day, which is having a big effect on my health, anyways I digress) to cover most of my standard monthly outgoings, rent, heat etc... and gradually as I focus on the freelancing leave behind that work.

So, phew, yes I have a question. My question is:

Any books/publication recommendations relating to my business intentions? Or very good and must have general things?

41pA3HOC%2BrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU02_.jpg

The "Financial Times" Guide to Business Start Up 2009: The Only Annually Updated Guide for Entrepeneurs (Financial Times Series): Sara Williams: Amazon.co.uk: Books seems to be close to what I'm looking for, but I reckon this will be quite general and more in the realm of traditional business, like sales and that.

There is also this one
The Small Business Start-up Workbook: A Step-by-step Guide to Starting the Business You've Dreamed of: Cheryl D. Rickman, Dame Anita Roddick: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Which again would be quite general I think. :D

Has anyone got any recommendations to look at? I want to make sure I'm doing things properly. :D

Sorry if this has already been asked and that, not having much luck with the search. :D

Thanks.
makemassair.

Read anything on FreelanceSwitch. Anything at all.

I get so much help, advice and ideas from that sitee (and other sites) the only books I've really needed to buy are tech ones.

Also this isn't a book recommendation but try and get your self a mentor or business manager (try your local Business Link or Business Starup Agency) some one who if possibly has neever worked in the sector your tackling. That way you've got some who can cast and outside eye on what you're doing and pass comment on the business without the 'design' getting in the way.

makemassair said:
Hi, new here and new to wanting to freelance. Been thinking about it for time, usual story. Knee deep in the s**t that is the rat race and my talents and interests lie elsewhere.

Basically I'm looking to set myself up as a video post production and graphic design business primarily, but to go off into related areas as required. Including photography, podcasting, videography, web compression for video, etc....

Anyways. What I am planning first if to go semi-freelance, get a job a lot closer to home (currently my commute is 4 hours standard a day, which is having a big effect on my health, anyways I digress) to cover most of my standard monthly outgoings, rent, heat etc... and gradually as I focus on the freelancing leave behind that work.

Hi makemassair,

What do you do for a job currently? Is it related to design at all?
4 hours is one hell of a commute I remember getting fed up with a 2.5 hour commute each day, so can imagine how tiring 2 hours each way would be!

Do you have any freelance design experience? or a design related qualification?

As Lee says Freelance Switch is a great site to check out, a quick search on Amazon brings up a few books, although none of them have ratings so hard to tell if they're any good.

The Freelance Design Handbook: Don't Start Work Without It: Cathy Fishel: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Is your current job something that you could feasibly do from home?
Greg

The first book I suggest any designer has is Paul Ardens £4.99 gem ' It's not how good you are it's how good you want to be". Paul was THE Creative of Saatchi & Saatchi. A temperamental genius. I've been on judging panels with him and he is is so creatively focused on improving the quality of any work or designer he words have to be absorbed. The book is a simple 30 minute read, but every page is full of true and valid advice that is essential for any one in the design field. I made every one of my staff read it and understand it.

Attachments

• 5189NZY4TAL._SS500_.jpg
    5189NZY4TAL._SS500_.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2
Back