Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another struggling newby

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by rsdesigner, Jan 13, 2010.

1. rsdesigner

rsdesigner Junior Member

Hi all, I have been recommended to this site by Sam Grover so I thought I would drop in and say hi. I have spent my entire day emailing countless design companies scratching around for a bit more work, it's tough out there at the moment, but I have managed to get a couple of possibles. I'll be glad when the snow stops and the economy picks-up, roll-on summer!
  2. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

Welcome aboard mate! :)

Hope you find some work out there!
  3. rsdesigner

rsdesigner Junior Member

Something will come-up, I'm only panicking a little bit.
  4. Welcome to the forum :)
  5. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Welcome fella.
  6. berry

berry Active Member

welcome .
  7. Greg

Greg Active Member

Good to hear Sam recommended us to you :)
    I hope the possibles turn into something more, and keep your head up, it will get better!
    Hope you enjoy DF and find it useful.

8. Northy

Northy Junior Member

Hi there, we get a few emails from freelancers looking for work. The ones that stand out have usually done something different - perhaps include a pdf of what they've been working on recently or approached it differently. Make yourself stand out.

If I was you, I'd use something like Campaign Monitor or Mail Chimp to create and send a HTML email - you can then track who has opened the emails, what they did after they opened it (if you have links back to your website), how many times they looked at it etc. It's a really powerful piece of kit. The ones who have opened it a few times are probably the ones to chase up.

If I am hiring outside services I always want to see some examples of work. Have you got a website to showcase your work? If not, get one. Use Wordpress, download a theme if you can't do code and get your work out there. If you can't do this, you might find that a friendly web programmer will do this for you in exchange for some design work?

Hope that helps - good luck!
  9. rsdesigner

rsdesigner Junior Member

Sounds like good advise. I do have a website and included a link to it, the interest I received was as a result of this. I will look into the email marketing apps you referred to, they sound like they would be useful tools to offer as an additional service, the only email marking I have done so far I have coded myself server side. My only concern when approaching people as an individual looking for freelance is that I do not want to make the impression of a larger company offering a service, which I fear a html email might imply. Thanks for the advise, much appreciated.
  10. sarah

sarah Member

Welcome welcome :)
  11. davewill

davewill Senior Member

12. bamme

bamme Senior Member

hi! welcome! im a fellow struggling newbie :D youll find these forums are amazing for help and guidance. and tips on healthy diets. haha :)
  13. Ant

Ant Member

Welcome aboard my mate :)
  14. craigfarrall

craigfarrall Member

Welcome to the forums, you will learn alot on here and get great advice. Keep your head up, work hard and the good things will come in.
  15. Rhonda

Rhonda Senior Member

Belated greetings RS! I'm glad to see you're already getting wonderful advice too! I shall see you around the boards.
  16. rsdesigner

rsdesigner Junior Member

I've never been much of a blogger or into the social networking scene, but I'm impressed with this site so far. Probably like many other designers here I find my work consumes my time and my brain and it's difficult to commit to online chit chat, but with so many like minded professionals on this site lets hope I have found my scene.