Another site for you lot

Mike

My word the forums grown, from the seed i saw planted into this impressive oak!!

anyway enough bum kissing :p

Im just after a little feedback on a new site of mine - it is still in progress at the moment so some pages are blank - im more after feedback on the look/feel etc

1st impressions, what you like, what you hate what you dont get

Brutal is best as i can learn and improve.

I have done the site all by myself and as some members will testify design is not my strong point, im a "coder monkey"!

Site is Cheap Nintendo Wii Games, addons and consoles! - loveWii.co.uk

Thanks all

Mike

Design wise that's fine Mike, consistent colour scheme and easy to navigate. I wont bother looking at the code as it's probably fine and I'm sure Harry will take delight in taking a peek :D

Looks good Mike.

A few things you could try.

Move the logo a bit to the right so it lines up with the site. Move the nav to the right so it also lines up with the rest. And perhaps use the hover state as an active state as well? Or have all of the tabs there on off state and make them change color on hover perhaps? I just think the tabs would make the nav stand out more and enhance the design a bit.

I would also change the color of the links and the headings, maybe to the same light blue as the rest?

The positioning of the footer looks weird to me? (using Firefox).

I am curious how you have done the buyer thing with amazon?

It is contistent and that is very good, it is similar to the wii colour scheme so job well done i'd say.

I agree about the alignment at the top, they just need to be lined up (in firefox atleast) or centred (maybe) for the tabs.
I'd also like to see the tabs, maybe grey when not selected and blue when selected?
I would have had the footer cetralised under the right box nand I'd have also made the gap slightly less between the two boxes on the left (matched the gap between them and the big box)

Other than that I quite like it overall

Hi Mike

I like the design it's simple and elegant and seems easy to navigate - well done!
Just a few suggestions:

• The tabs need to indicate which page I'm on (as suggested by Levi) your use of sprites with the navigation is good and cuts down loading 2 separate images but use a third sprite to tell us where we are.

• Sex the tabs up a bit they look a bit grey and dull at the moment, some glow or sheen could look nice.
Use this code in your css:
body
{
overflow:visible;
overflow-x:hidden;
}
This means that the vertical scroll bar is always visible and the content is always in the centre, at the moment if the scroll bar becomes visible all the content jumps left 20 or so pixels.

Another bit of css is:
a
{
outline:hidden;
}

because at the moment when you click on the tabs an ugly red dotted border is left around the tab, or at least apply this to the tab link styles.

Good work though!

mrp2049 said:
I am curious how you have done the buyer thing with amazon?
I'm definitely interested in that too Mike, it may be useful for a future project I'm soon to embark upon.

I know they have affiliate programs, but I didn't know that they could be incorporated like that.

Any info would be appreciated :)

Thanks all for the comments, I really appreciate them :)

I have started implementing some of the suggestions and its already looking better!

The script i have hand coded myself as i wanted a coldfusion affiliate script. Its using the Api provided by amazon.

Any other comments? I have changed the tabs now too!

make your curved edges the same radius - they look odd at the moment.

(search br3n & radius because I said the exact same thing somewhere else and also how to fix it)

Mike said:
Thanks all for the comments, I really appreciate them :)

I have started implementing some of the suggestions and its already looking better!

The script i have hand coded myself as i wanted a coldfusion affiliate script. Its using the Api provided by amazon.

Any other comments? I have changed the tabs now too!
Interesting Mike.

How easy would it be to transfer the script you wrote to other sites?

I'm intrigued.

br3n said:
make your curved edges the same radius - they look odd at the moment.

(search br3n & radius because I said the exact same thing somewhere else and also how to fix it)

You need to make your inner radius half px of the outer radius.
:up:

P.S Why cant you just tell us Bren !! :)

Back