Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another phone thread!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by PrintME, Aug 11, 2014.

1. PrintME

PrintME Member

As the title says this is about my phone!

Basically I have a iphone and its awful for battery life! And is constantly dying on me! I've done all the tricks etc to help it last longer but it's still shite!

So my thinking is I'll get a new mobile but haven't got a clue what to get! I was thinking a iPhone 5C as they have a better battery and it syncs with icloud etc which is great, but then the new iphone is coming out is sept/cot when my contract is up which is great but I don't want and epic iFail again!

So I'm thinking of completely moving away from the iphone! My only this is all the apps etc I purchased on my iphone are no longer of any use to me!

Anyways what phones do people recommend, I want to be able to tether from it, have a slightly bigger screen than iphone and great battery life! And be able to sync calendars with my imac through an app.

2. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

I don't buy apple - and it's not cos I'm not a fan, they have wonderful amazing products and gizmos. They work really well.

I just thing they are overcharging and relying on the "Mac Religion" to keep them going. Although nothing wrong with that. I just think consumers are seeing the light of day.

Where Apple were the standard for amazing technology they are now being matched by a lot of rival firms. The fact that Mac OS can't be installed (can't lightly) on another handest other than the iphone is a major major flaw in their marketing.

It's harder for Apple now that more firms have taken up the challenge of rivaling them. I think at the moment there's more Android users than iOs? I'm not sure but it's easily checked.

Although other sources may be biased.

==============

I am a tad biased - I am a Samsung fan - I think they produce amazing technology, not only in phones, but general electronics. Here's a sad fact, I have Samsung phone, tablet, cooker, kettle, tv and everything else.

Yes I'm as bad as the Apply fanatics above!

=========

However, here's the sadder fact... I'm considering HTC for my next phone...

I don't know why - I want something different.

3. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

I've had a couple of HTC phones, and although they've been pretty good, I'm considering a Samsung Galaxy next time round. From what I've seen, they just seem to be a little 'smoother' than my current HTC (HTC One X I think), though it is a couple of years old now. Also, the camera is pretty disappointing on it, especially compared to my ex's Galaxy shots.

4. hankscorpio

To be honest the S5 is a bit too big. The S3 which I currently have is ok to use one handed if needed.

But for a phone, the S5 screen is way too big for a phone. It's not easy to use (my brother has one).

That's why I'm thinking of the HTC. But to be honest, I've heard rumours of a Galaxy Alpha - a upgrade to the S5.

The designer of the S5 quit after it's release, due to plastic parts and other design features, it goes to show.

5. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

I've had an HTC One M8 for about 3 months now and its fantastic.

There are some features on android that seem a bit long winded compared to iOS and it can be a little confused at times but on the whole I really like the phone.

My fiance changed from an iphone to a sony Z2 at the same time and really dislikes android to the point that she'd do anything to have her iphone back. Although the Sony's waterproofing proved handy on Friday when she left her phone in the garden during a torrential downpour.

6. hankscorpio

Ah going from one os to another is always a major change. Same would have happened for a switch in opposite direction.I know a lad who bought a Mac and hated it. If you're computer savvy you'll adapt, if not then good luck.

Heard a lot of good things about HTC but I'm going to keep researching. I have until December to decide so that's good.

7. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

I have the HTC One M8 right now and I love it. It is my second HTC and cannot fault them as phones. That said the smart money right now is on the LG G3 LG G3 D855 Mobile Phones | LG UK and Stuff (which is my guilty pleasure) can't stop raving about it. Judging by the specs, price and screenshots I can see why! Going to suggest my Mrs gets the G3 next time round just so I can play with it. iPhone - never have and never will :thumb:

8. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

I just don't get excited by the new phones anymore. Apple has seemingly taken the smart phone industry as far as it can go. All these companies are doing now is making bigger screens the size of tablets, which oddly everyone seems to love, "Look I have a 20inch screen its so amazing..." They are increasing speeds, memory, just all the general specs, adding more and more megapixels to the camera and maybe throwing in something random as a USP that no one will ever use after playing with it a few times like 'Eye Scrolling.' They are all just getting a bit 'sameish' and boring now. I think I'll be happy with my iPhone 5S for a good couple of years, battery life is great on it. It would have to take something extraordinary to make me feel the need to upgrade any sooner, not just something that's a bit better with a bigger screen. Large screens are a big negative for me. I want a mobile phone, not a portable tv!

9. PrintME

PrintME Member

Yeh these look good. Gonna look into it more.

The thing is the mrs needs hers upgrading aswell and is use to iFail but getting annoyed with battery life etc. so thought it would be good to teach her android etc we get the same phone.

I'll let you know what I choose on another note what networks are people on? I'm currently with 3 and they've been good with me just not liking the for the iPhone contracts.

10. @GCarlD

Maybe it would help if we stated the network and tariff?

I'm on O2 been with them for 7 years, have always got free iPhone upgrades plus a decent amount of money back from my old model. I pay £32 p/m and I get Unlimited Texts, Unlimited Calls to any network, a stupid amount of data to which I struggle to use half most months (mainly due to me using wifi most of the time) and I also have 4G.

11. PrintME

PrintME Member

O2 are fantastic for signal. But there data bundles are useless!

I'd be using mine for tethering my iPad when I'm out and downloading, so need a lot of data.

12. @GCarlD

Yeah maybe so. I haven't had the need to look into their data tariffs in too much detail, as I have always been given way more than I ever use.

What do you use your data for to which you wouldn't use a wifi hotspot? What do you download that requires so much data?

13. hankscorpio

My Galaxy S3 will no longer charge - let's just put it down to a drinking accident...

I was in a bit of a jam and asked vodafone if they would fix the phone for me and I get a quote of €130! I was like ef that I can buy a new one for about the same price.

Which I did, I had accumulated enough Amazon vouchers over the years and bought a Samsung Galaxy S Duo (which was the only one I could afford with my accumulated vouchers that would ship to me).

I have the phone now - pretty similar to the Galaxy S3 except a smaller screen.

Can't wait til December and I'll treat myself to right beauty - want a 4G phone that is supported by Sky TV Mobile - all the Tennis and Football action at my finger tips!

14. @GCarlD

Nice! I think the smaller screen is better with that phone.

15. hankscorpio

I disagree. I think it's just the right size. The S5 is too big.

I watch a lot of netflix on the go. So it's important for me to have a decent size screen.

16. @GCarlD

I wouldn't want to watch Netfilx on any phone size. I'd buy a tablet for that.

17. hankscorpio

I don't want the burden of carrying a larger screen, like a laptop. Like the woman says, anything over 7 inches is noticeable in public!

If I got a tablet I'd have to get a manbag, and I detest them.

I'm quite happy to have a pocket sized screen and headphones, happy out.

18. PrintME

PrintME Member

Ended up getting myself a HTC One m8 and its awesome!

19. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Great choice, all the best people have one...

PrintME likes this.
  20. hankscorpio

HTC seem to be very popular, and I do want to be one of the best people!