Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analogue vs Digital

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Renouf28, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Renouf28

Renouf28 New Member

Hi there,
    Just thinking about about the way I act at the moment, and my patience has seemed to deteriorated over the years.
    I was wondering if you agree that these days, Efficiency has become more important and the driving force behind
    designing products then it is to interact with them? For example the traditional scales that you used to balance with
    weights has now become digital, and we are loosing out on that user experience, and becoming more idle?
    Would love to hear your thoughts!
    Josh

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

why not share your thoughts in more detail first...
    And just so you know we're not going to fall this approach to get your course work done for you, I for one have done product design (bsc with hons) so can spot this is a 'course question' (likely for your final written report) a mile away and the others on the forum are pretty savvy too....
    Simply put we are willing to help on this forum but you've got to show that you can put the effort in first.

3. We don't take kindly to you trying to pull the wool over our eyes either. If you have a question, ask it in a respectful way and we'll be more than happy to help you out. Also, I can tell that you've copy and pasted that post because it isn't formatted properly...
    Seriously, we're more than willing to give you our thoughts and and knowledge, but don't expect us to simply be used for the sole purpose of doing your coursework, that's just disrespectful.

4. Renouf28

Renouf28 New Member

Hi as I said I am new to design Forums, and the last thing I wanted to do was to offend anyone.
    I generally thought I could bring up and start a discussion any time and get to hear other peoples opinions on the matter.
    Yes it is to aid my research through getting feedback. It wasn't copied and pasted, and I am not trying to get you to do my work. I am also happy to share my opinions on other matters that people pitch.
    I apologise, I'll get more involved.

5. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

and yet you don't even comment on your own topic like was suggested...
    bringing up a topic to discuss is fine but you didn't offer up anything in return for us to discuss the topic, like said we don't do the work for you, you have to make an effort first

6. Apology accepted.
    I'll be sure to answer this question in detail when I see you posting a little more around other areas of the forum :)

7. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Going with the scales... the kind with two sides to balance out with weights became the kind with a needle and numbers which then became a digital equivalent. Yes there's time being saved since we no longer need to pick out little weights to balance against whatever we're weighing, but the main improvement I see is accuracy.
    In terms of what we can see when weighing things, "3lb and a bit" became "Almost a kilogram and a half" became "1400 grams exactly". Being able to do things with improved speed and accuracy is what the people call progress. It also helps sell scales, since we want to have the new improved model. Hopefully it's clear I'm not just talking about scales at this point.
    Basically Analogue v Digital doesn't seem to be the right question, unless you purely want to discuss the aesthetics of each. Asking why one naturally progresses to the other leads my brain into topics like capitalism and in-built obsolescence. But then, my mind does tend to wander.