Amsterdam Design Jobs

cal

'ello. does anyone know what the design work situation is like out there? i'm thinking of movin you see.

First of all welcome to DF Cal!

I've not heard about much work in amsterdam but theres always a little place called red light district if you are struggling, give it a google search buddy you might find something.

amsterdam do have design jobs, but you need to be able to speak french, german, english and of course dutch :) all fluently too..

oh and welcome to the forum Cal.

the dutch are great if you are struggling to speak dutch, because generally their english is better than yours! but as chris said, that is one crazy linguistic hot spot, I think Flemish and friese are still spoken there wildly aswell!

also not forgetting that they speak a french french and a beligan french!

My cousin lives out there you see.

I think you guys are confusing The Netherlands (Amsterdam) with Belgium... The Netherlands suck at languages. Their English is (very often) terrible, and I don't think they speak French or German at all...

And Belgian (Walloon) French is to French like US English is to UK English.

All I know is that when I was there last there were a plethora of different languages spoken by the people who lived there :p

Hi Cal,

All the Dutch people I've ever met spoke excellent English (I'm sure the Belgians are better Gary. Not as good as the Danes though.. :p).

I met a few people while travelling who lives and works in Holland with no Dutch at all. There's supposed to be quite a large expat community there, so you might be able to get something if you're lucky. I nearly relocated to Holland instead of England 3 years ago, and I found the prices of accommodation there at that time very expensive compared to the UK. The deposits were really high also. I had loads of job offers though, and was even invited to several interviews in A'dam, but the high prices of housing put me off. (This was 3 years ago so the situation could have changed dramatically)

There are a few sites specifically for foreigners with no dutch relocating to The Netherlands. You should be able to find more details there.

Thanks,
Soren

Onartis said:
I think you guys are confusing The Netherlands (Amsterdam) with Belgium... The Netherlands suck at languages. Their English is (very often) terrible, and I don't think they speak French or German at all...

And Belgian (Walloon) French is to French like US English is to UK English.

just what every person I have ever met from the Netherlands has told me.

And it's actually a large amount, my cousin married a guy from Amersforte, parents friends live in vacinity of the Dam, and in my youth went to several scout events in various parts of the country.

But as always just my experience.

Back