Amateur in need of help and advice!

I have been using Dreamweaver for a good while now, both at school and at home, but I have only really ever experienced the design view, and I'me very sure that code will give me so much more choice, options, and a greater looking website. I am about to begin a portfolio with my work on and I would like it to be presented in the best way possible. I understand creating new pages, linking them together, inserting AP Div's on the design view, but one thing that has been bugging me, because just like this website, I would like it centered... I've followed online tutorials, but the never worked for me, I've tried inserting 'margin: auto' to the code, but it never went live, I've tried going to CSS styles and manually going auto-left and auto-right, but nothing seems to work...
These are the specifications which I want for my website:
• Centered left, and right.
• A facebook based portfolio (like the photo albums)
• As much interactivity as possible.
Any tips before I leave off on this journey to creating my portfolio? Thanks a lot!

I'm a little confused as to what you're asking for. If you want to start working in the field of website development, even at this very basic stage I would suggest building a couple of sites without design view. I use Dreamweaver too, but I never, ever, ever touch the design mode when build a website. The very thought of it makes me feel slightly unwell! You need to go and learn HTML and CSS properly. It's like learning to balance before you start riding a bike.
If you don't then you're going to keep running into these issues and wonder why nothing works, ultimately getting very frustrated. Working in design view doesn't give you the flexibility to respond to clients (often incomprehensible) requests. If they want that logo half way down the page, hidden under a block of text you're going to have to try and work that out! Okay, maybe clients aren't that crazy...!
To centre something left or right is just so simple, I could tell you but all it takes is a quick check with your favourite search engine for the information. If you want to start making something like a portfolio, with lots of interactivity, then I don't believe that simply knowing how to create sites in DW Design View is going to allow you to do this. Unless you want to go and use one of those free site makers or find a template for WP. Or you can use one of the portfolio websites such as behance, deviant art etc.

benthousandandsix said:
I have been using Dreamweaver for a good while now, both at school and at home, but I have only really ever experienced the design view, and I'me very sure that code will give me so much more choice, options, and a greater looking website. I am about to begin a portfolio with my work on and I would like it to be presented in the best way possible. I understand creating new pages, linking them together, inserting AP Div's on the design view, but one thing that has been bugging me, because just like this website, I would like it centered... I've followed online tutorials, but the never worked for me, I've tried inserting 'margin: auto' to the code, but it never went live, I've tried going to CSS styles and manually going auto-left and auto-right, but nothing seems to work...
These are the specifications which I want for my website:
• Centered left, and right.
• A facebook based portfolio (like the photo albums)
• As much interactivity as possible.
Any tips before I leave off on this journey to creating my portfolio? Thanks a lot!
If you can describe exactly what you are after, I am sure we can help more efficiently :)

Like Sean said, if you're looking to learn web design, uninstall Dreamweaver and download an HTML editor. When I started learning at school all I had was Windows Notepad and an A4 cheat sheet. Google wasn't overly used back then. Once you've got to grips with it it's not overbearing. Start with the basics, build a simple template, style it with your css and away you go. Build on that.
It'd be good if you could post some code up so we can see your problem clearer, not entirely sure what you're asking there :)

I still use Dreamweaver, it's not a bad editor. I don't touch the GUI side of things though, it's just quicker to code it yourself!

Ok so i think what he's asking is how to first center his website page wrapper. so... to start with you would need the following.
<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><!--[if IE]><![endif]--><meta charset="utf-8" /><title>Your Title</title><link rel="stylesheet" href="/path/to/your/stylesheet/here.css" media="screen, projection" /></head><body class="classname"> <div class="wrapper"> <!-- START WEBSITE WRAPPER --> <div class="header"> <p>Header Content here</p> </div> <p>page content</p> <div class="footer"> <p>Footer Content here</p> </div> </div> <!-- END WEBSITE WRAPPER --></body></html>
and then the css
html{ font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:100%; /* 16px */ background:#fff; color: #404041; /* DARK GREY */ height:101%;}body{ position:relative;}.wrapper{ width: 957px; padding: 0 20px; margin: 0 auto; position: relative;}
This should get you started mate...

Back