Am I being paid fairly? - Junior Graphic Designer

Nathan C

Hi, I am a Junior Graphic Designer with a total of 2 Years Industry Experience. I completed my apprenticeship 7 months ago now and I have been working as a Junior Graphic Designer since. The roles I generally undertake is designing print for our smaller clients, designing web graphics, stationery, chasing clients and sending artwork to print. And also assisting the Lead Designer. I am aware that my managing director and the lead graphic designer are very happy with my standard of work and my continued progress as a designer.

I am paid a annual wage of £12,000. I work for a small agency (7 Staff) based just outside Manchester. Am I paid fairly? I don't think I am.

I've seen Junior roles advertised at around £14–£16k in the Manchester area. £12,000 does seem low, below minimum hourly wage even. How old are you?

Annual wage but doesn't state how many hours a week you're doing. You could be doing 1 day a week for all we know in which case you'd be on a good deal. If it is a full 40 hour week then imo you're a bit low but I'm not sure if there were any agreements in place regarding the apprenticeship to consider.

I do remember being told that straight out of uni I should be looking at around 15k per year (slightly different field but likely similar) but this was 15 years ago now but I doubt it's changed much due to the 'popularity' of graphic design and the prevalence of people who are prepared to work for peanuts just to get a foot in the door.

Annual wage but doesn't state how many hours a week you're doing. You could be doing 1 day a week for all we know in which case you'd be on a good deal. If it is a full 40 hour week then imo you're a bit low but I'm not sure if there were any agreements in place regarding the apprenticeship to consider.

I do remember being told that straight out of uni I should be looking at around 15k per year (slightly different field but likely similar) but this was 15 years ago now but I doubt it's changed much due to the 'popularity' of graphic design and the prevalence of people who are prepared to work for peanuts just to get a foot in the door.
Fair point. I work 9-5 (more like 8:30 - 6) but I’m paid 9-5 5 days a week. 20 days paid holiday a year. I sometimes stay late to do things, sometimes do bits on weekends if the client needs an urgent deadline but that’s just the job! I love it.

Hi, I’m 20 years old, just.
Fair point. I work 9-5 (more like 8:30 - 6) but I’m paid 9-5 5 days a week. 20 days paid holiday a year. I sometimes stay late to do things, sometimes do bits on weekends if the client needs an urgent deadline but that’s just the job! I love it.
At 20 years old the minimum wage is £5.90 an hour, I'm guessing you're listed as a 40 hour week on your contract 40x52x5.90 is just over £12,000 before tax and NI. Basically it looks like you're on min wage.

When you hit 21 it should be £7.38 which would be just over 15,000 before tax and NI.

Note there are some differences, including lower min rates, when still an apprentice which can be found at
https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

My experience is that you will always be seen as the junior in the role, unless the people around you and above you leave.

You should approach them and ask for a pay raise to match your workload, outline how you think you have improved, the extra duties you now take on and the increase in your standard of work.

If they don't want to pay you more, then you should find employment somewhere else. When you go their you'd be seen as middle-weight designer, and treated as such.

As I said, once the junior, always the junior.

Back