Alternative career

The thing that attracted me to design was the creative hands on element. I'm not saying that the job is no longer creative, but to me the craft has gone out of it. The introduction of computers has levelled the playing field. This could be seen as a good thing because potentially good designers are no longer held back by the old technical skills i.e. drawing or lettering. However as someone said, now anyone can get the software & call themselves designers.

I did mention earlier that anyone can call themselves a designer these days, but you hope that when serious businesses want work done they will spot someone who is winging it a mile off. The quality will out. But my point is it won't stop these people trying. They will ALWAYS get work over us from people who want something to stick on a flyer or who just want a simple identity, but when it comes to branding and a logo that will stand the test of time you have to hope that if they are serious about their business they will employ a serious designer.

Some of the work put on here for crit is awful beyond words. You hope that it is part of the learning curve for some of them. Sometimes when I tell these people to get busy with some markers and to get off the computer, they are astounded. Some I can't even bring myself to advise them! But then there are some that have real potential and who are willing to listen, and they are who I am interested in helping. My anger is towards the 'designers' that have a pc and a paint program, decide to put work on here, and when you criticise what they have done, throw a wobbly. It seems that these are the people that come to the conclusion: 'graphic design' sounds good. I think I'll be a designer!'. Now THAT makes me angry after the work we have had to put in to get to this stage in our careers. That is when I regret the path I've chosen.

Back to basics

I nearly always design with a nice tactile pencil and a lovely textured paper - a direct link with the brain and mark making process.

A computer is a great labour saving device, but is also restrictive - a Mac will never improve a mediocre designer.

I haven't been on here for years. I'm only here now because I got an email saying someone was trying to log on to hack my account WTF?
Anyway if anyone's interested here's an update of this thread. I got made redundant from the job that was driving me mad. Shortly after I was diagnosed with Cancer. Got through that, then found it hard to find work. In desperation applied for a job as a Baker in a supermarket and got it! Because it was an early shift and I was finished by mid day I started painting and drawing again. I stayed there for 2 years.
Now I'm working as a Production Assitant producing manuals for Developers. Zero creativity but no stress and I leave the job behind when I walk out the door at 5pm. Ironically the Graphic Designer left recently and they asked me if I was interested in the job. I said "No thanks."

That's all from me. Have a good life and enjoy what you do.

Back