Album Artwork Design Opinion..

Been asked to design an EP cover for a local artist. Not designed album artwork before but obviously I'm open to trying new things.

Just wanted a third party opinion on what I've done really.

So yeah, what do you think?
Constructive criticisms welcome.
Photograph is my own as well, not offline or anything.

Also let me know if you've seen anything similar. I don't want to seem like a copy, even if it is accidental.

coverplay.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
I really like it, but a few minor things I'd change.

I'd tone that red ink splash(?) right back. Make it so it's quite subtle in the background maybe, definitely knock it back there somewhere because it's really overpowering.

I'm not a fan on the font used on the Upon-Fe, I don't know what I'd recommend for that but that doesn't work for me.

I don't know if you have already but I'd bring the circle above the red splash layer too.

there looks to be two dots in the top right that look like a reflection? It's a minor job but i'd clone them out, i find them pretty distracting. other than that what tony said :)

I quite like it, though I'd create the dash in Upon–Fe by hand so that it's weight ties in to the rest of the name.

Personally I'd be tempted to try the 'Ever Say Never' all inline below the band name. I'd also look at the kerning.

I agree with the previous comment about the layering of the circle, it needs to come forward ahead of the red ink in my opinion. Not too keen on the upon-fe type either, but other than that, it seems to work.

made a couple of ammendments now..

coverplay4.jpg

he wanted me to do something with the artist name that he could use in the future on other covers so I did these for him as well...

logotypes.jpg

Definitely prefer the second version of the circle on top of the abstract splash.
However, the font is a step backwards I think. The arrangement of the album wording and layout is better, it's just the typeface needing work.

Definitely prefer the second version of the circle on top of the abstract splash.
However, the font is a step backwards I think. The arrangement of the album wording and layout is better, it's just the typeface needing work.

Thanks. What would you suggest for the typeface? Something a bit simpler maybe?
Its just he wanted something he could use on later covers as well, so I wanted to make something that might fit a range of covers. And also give it a digital sort of look to contrast the background..

I'd potentially go for something that is really strong? Maybe a font like Bebas?
Not so sure on exact fonts. Probably wouldn't choose a fancy display font like you have though.

bebas is everywhere right now. not hating...just stating.
what kind of music is it? would that influence it at all?

The music is digitally produced down-tempo/atmospheric music. So was trying to mix in a natural looking image with digital looking type.

He wants something that he can use again and that is "cool" and "memorable". So by having a plain, simple font, it might take away from that maybe?

Yeah, pretty much. But I dont like having to use a logo as a bit part of the cover so might see if he wants them separate.
Changed direction a little bit more with it again now..

This seems to be more towards the colours he wants etc.
Might send this over with some logo ideas as well and see what they think.

coverplay5.jpg

Back