Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aggravating clients :(

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by tim, Jan 18, 2009.

1. tim

tim Senior Member

I'll first of all, fill you in with some information about what's happening for me at the mo. I have GCSEs, as I'm in year eleven, which strangely involves lots of coursework and exams, here and there, no control over what free time I have or anything.

I also have one e-commerce client, who I've mentioned quite a bit before, about his arrogance and wanting me to eat, sleep and breathe their company, to get the site live before Christmas. This may not sound unreasonable, but how does two months for a 400+ page site sound?!

Anyway, they know want a new site putting together, and being launched today, right now, this second (yes, I'm on DF instead). But realistically, this project won't take days, it'll take many weeks, and even longer with my exams.

I picked up lotsa ways to tell the client to, quite plainly, f*ck off (best one being "no, is an answer"), but as I'm in the middle of my three year contract with them, I can't say anything but "I'm having some family troubles so I can't complete the site for a few more weeks." My initial plan for this was to work away at the site without getting pushed by the clients, but then I realised the reason I'm saying it, is because I have exams!

My big questions are...

• How do I actually say no to them?
    • How can I help their business but not flunk my GCSEs?
    • Can I sack them?

The third one in particular is on my mind. I've been thinking about it alot. At the start of the deal, I sent over a contract with all my work details on (how many hours I worked a week, blah blah blah), and they agreed to it. They then paid me £1400 to get the job done, which I did, for about 2 weeks before they had to go to Barbados, so I had to pull the site down. Anyway, my point is, they didn't actually sign the contract, and neither did I. Does this mean that I have a loophole out, or does it mean that they've paid me and I have no choice but to do the work?

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

Sorry if i sound like a prize twat.
  2. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

Hey Tim, have they actually paid you already?
  3. tim

tim Senior Member

yep, about 5 months ago..? something like that.
  4. Greg

Greg Active Member

So, did you complete the work you've been paid for?
    Is this extra work now?
  5. tim

tim Senior Member

sorry for not mentioning this the first time..!

Depends on what is classed as done. The full site was launched before they asked to take it down for their holiday, if that counts?

They then asked me to do a redesign (told you the deadline was january 30th or whatever), and now I have exams.
  6. Have you completed the brief that was originally given to you from the client? If so then you will need to renegotiate a redesign and get more money for the work :) at least thats what i do :) as you have completed your end and they have made an addition / change and if you have GCSE's and they knew that you would have them before hiring you then they will have to be able to give you more time if needed to complete the new contract with them to co-incide with you exams etc..
  7. tim

tim Senior Member

yeah, sounds good. I have said I need more money for the redesign, but really, it's a question of 'is it worth it?'.

is a contract length void if you complete the work by the way...? as the original contract agreed was two years, and it's been just about 6 months now.
  8. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

It's a bit hard to say without really knowing the ins & outs that you probably can't get across on here...

But what I would say is regardless of whether you might upset/lose a client your education is far more important and needs to come first. You certainly don't want to be having to retake your GCSE's even if you don't want to go to college/uni right now and (think) you know you want to be a webdesigner/developer your GCSE's are worth putting the effort.

Either bin the client off or tell them straight you don't have the time at the moment they should understand - plus you'll have bags of time for the work once you've finished your GCSE's in the summer!
  9. Well it depends on the contact terms, if its all about the completion of the website then the length isn't void (but as the conditions have changed then it might mean that the contract is void).

was the contract for 2 years fixed term paying a certain amount per month or a total amount for the site? Or was it just for any work needing to be done? There are alot of different things to look for with contracts (and some of them are more fiddly than others).
  10. tim

tim Senior Member

@Chris: Agreed. I think there's a few factors that have meant that the contract can surely no longer be in action. I'll tell them that :D

@tbwcf: I agree with that too. my education is much more important than their site TBH, and if they don't agree with that they can f*ck off, quite plainly!
  11. Greg

Greg Active Member

Did you make it clear about your age and exams?
    When you started the project I mean?
  12. tim

tim Senior Member

Yep. Very much so.

I guess that's saved me... right?
  13. thomashodgson

thomashodgson Senior Member

Bloody hell, sounds a right pickle!

Let us know how you get on?
  14. tim

tim Senior Member

yeah... i've kind of dodged all form of communication for the week. I need to concentrate on exams really.

And this guy wouldn't understand anyways.
  15. berry

berry Active Member

Tim some advice from the BB book of Knowlege:

1. Your only as good as your last job
    2. Bad news travels faster than good
    3. Always be nice to people when your climbing the ladder as you soon meet them coming up on your way down.
  16. Greg

Greg Active Member

It's easier to let them know what's going on, you might be surprised, they might understand, and remember they're the client. If I was you I'd apologize for not being in contact, let them know about your exams/current situation and arrange a meeting for a time when your exams are completed to work out what the best options are for the project moving forward.