Agency vs In-house

BDCLouise

Morning everyone!!

There is one question that's been on my mind for ages ....!! If you are a in-house designer (i.e - working client side) that applies for a role with a design agency, why do they reject you because you have in-house experience. It's crazy! If you're a talented designer surely you can work both!? :icon_confused:

Please answer this question for me ....!! :icon_Wall:

Would this be a job advertised by a recruitment agency buy any chance? If so you may as well forget it as they're all elitist w**kers! Short of doing an unpaid 10 year work placement at Saatchi & Saatchi, you'll never get a job through a recruitment agency!

You're better off just deciding on a (geographical) area you'd like to work in then canvas every agency in that area with your CV and work samples. If they don't have any work they'll either not respond or they'll tell you to bugger off. If they do have something they'll admire your initiative.

Morning everyone!!

There is one question that's been on my mind for ages ....!! If you are a in-house designer (i.e - working client side) that applies for a role with a design agency, why do they reject you because you have in-house experience. It's crazy! If you're a talented designer surely you can work both!? :icon_confused:

Please answer this question for me ....!! :icon_Wall:

agencies view in-house roles as limiting. In-house roles (by there nature obviously) usually only focus on one client and maybe even one discipline (pos/marketing/brochures etc). Agencies look for people who can apply themselves across range of disciplines and clients. I don't always agree with it, but that's the way it it unfortunately

keep trying though, not all agencies are like that and some are just looking for talent. just because you've worked client-side doesn't mean you've not got talent

and bigdave, sounds like you've had a bad experience but most agencies in manchester, where I'm based, are pretty helpful and are always looking to help. after all, they don't get paid if they don't fill a posistion!

and bigdave, sounds like you've had a bad experience but most agencies in manchester, where I'm based, are pretty helpful and are always looking to help. after all, they don't get paid if they don't fill a posistion!

Ive had a number of bad experiences over the years. Ranging from being a new graduate being told by one recruitment agency that "if you were any good you'd have got offered a job at your end of year show, so for that reason we don't any benefit in keep your details" right up until this morning when 2 weeks after supplying my CV i get a 2 sentence email saying "...Thank you for you application. We have reviewed your application and feel you are under qualified for this role.." It was a Junior Designers position asking for minimum 1 years experience. Blue Chip experience advantageous.... How about 3 years with enough blue chips to make a blue f**king potato!?.... :icon_cursing:

Hi,

I don't think it's because of that, maybe the clients are not looking for their design work to be that consistent ? But, don't let that let you down, because I bet everyone is equally as talented as long as your portfolio is strong :)

Back