After a new Scanner

Jimlad

After the apparent demise of my Epson scanner, I'm looking for a new one. Any recommendations? It doesn't need to have a built-in Negatives Scanner like my last one did, as I rarely used it if ever. It just needs to be decent enough quality for photos, documents, and most importantly artwork. I just hope the issue IS my scanner being done in (it is about 7 or 8 years old now, wow) so this isnt wasted cash!

leelovesbikestoo said:
I recently got an Epson V330 neg/reflective LED scanner.

Quite impressed with it - fast, quiet, good results, even from negs.

Second this. I have a v200 at work and a couple of v300s elsewhere in the building. Never had a problem with them, solid scanner and doesn't break the bank

How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking? I've been thinking about getting a negative scanner for a while. This was I can dust off my medium format and not pay the price!

Thanks for the suggestions peeps. Does a neg scanner add much to the cost? As I really don't need one.

got myself an epson v330 too Jim, Levi pointed my in that direction and I have to say it's a great scanner. I dont really need it for the negative part but for 90 odd pounds its pretty good.

How well does it scan negatives though? And thanks for the tips, if it works well than that is a really good price

*edit* There seems to be some bad reviews in regards to the neg scanning with a thin black/ red line appearing.

Scans really well, I work with illustrations and painting, drawings etc and they all scan in perfectly at a brilliant res too. Scan time is pretty good but of course it can take longer depending on how much you want from it. Not tried the negative bit as I don't really deal with that sort of thing but I've heard its pretty good.

Exact specs:

Scanner Type Flatbed colour image scanner Optical Resolution Main 4800dpi x Sub 9600dpi Optical Density 3.2 Dmax Document Size Flatbed 35mmx4 mounted film (35) pos/neg, TPU 35mm x6 frames strip film (35) pos/neg Scanner
Light Source White LED Sub Scanning Method Fixed documents and moving carriage Maximum Document Size Flatbed 216 x 297 mm Output Resolution 50-6400, 9600, 12800dpi IPF Image Quality Enhancer Print Image Matching-II-Image enhancement function: backlight correction, dust removal for film, colour restoration, grain reduction, selectable tone of auto-exposure, unsharp mask with noise reduction, de-screening with document type optimiser, tone curve adjustment with histogram IPF Easy Scanning 4 easy-push buttons linked to Epson Event Manager, stitching software*1, multiple page scan to PDF with scanner buttons, high compression PDF, search PDF, text enhancement, colour enhance and drop-out features, correct document skew, stand-alone application and scan to file feature, multi-purpose user interface, multi-document auto detection, auto photo orientation, multi-document auto cropping, auto skew correction, multi-marquee, film scanning thumbnail preview.

Scan speed
Scanning Speed A4 Preview 11 seconds Scanning Speed A4 Line Art 300 Dpi 16 seconds Scanning Speed A4 Colour 600 Dpi 37 seconds Scanning Speed Best Quality 35mm Negative Film 2400 dpi 52 seconds Scanning Speed Best Quality 35mm Positive Film 2400 dpi 42 seconds

General
Voltage AC 100-240V, 50-60Hz Dimensions W x D x H 430 x 280 x 66.5mm Weight Approx. 2.8 kg Standard Warranty 1 year standard Extended Warranty Optional extension to 3 years, subject to availability Connectivity Standard Interface Hi-Speed USB 2.0

This line I've read about is specifically aimed at the negative scanning function. That has put me off of buying one :( I want a good, reliable and affordable negative scanner..... We can all live and hope!

I've been looking at scanners on the currys and comet website... they can range from £40 to several hundred quid! Whats up with that, how much can A4 scanners vary?

Also, in the features, does anyone know what "Transparent" is relative to? Some say yes, some say no, but the scanners don't look physically much different.

Very tempted to get an Epson v330 or v33 off amazon, especially after seeing a very basic canon in currys for a similar price.

Does anyone know if it works ok with Snow Leopard though??

Jimlad said:
After the apparent demise of my Epson scanner, I'm looking for a new one. Any recommendations? It doesn't need to have a built-in Negatives Scanner like my last one did, as I rarely used it if ever. It just needs to be decent enough quality for photos, documents, and most importantly artwork. I just hope the issue IS my scanner being done in (it is about 7 or 8 years old now, wow) so this isnt wasted cash!

I use this one, basic but does the job and err cheap:)
Z Epson SX425W Wireless All In one printer - Aria Technology

Wokrs on MC as well as Windoze

Thanks for the link. However as my printer still works fine I'm only after a flatbed scanner.

Going to try and pow wow with the Epson tech support peeps this evening in a last ditch attempt to get mine up and running again before buying anything.

Thanks, actually I've managed to get it working again after a few rounds with the Epson people.

Back