Advice Please

Mark2000

Hi. I have been a freelance 3D & Motion Designer for over 16 years, there have been good times and bad, but lately the work has not been as consistent as I need. I have a growing family ( 5 including myself ), and there just isn't enough money coming in to make things work as its too inconsistent.

I have been looking at various jobs with little success, as most of the feedback is not the work but the fact that I have limited experience in-house.

I am a bit unsure what to do, and even considering a career change if I can't find something soon. The other thought I had was to build a portfolio of UI/UX work, to try and see if that might spark some interest especially as there seem to be more jobs with that type of thing.

It would be great to hear anyones thoughts on the situation, and any advice on the best thing to do. I am 38 now and feel I would be happy to change into another industry, but without retraining its tricky to know what you can do that pays well?

I hope someone can help

thanks

Ben

What sort of work do you normally produce? Could you try targeting a new sector perhaps, or adapt your 3D skills to other areas? Many companies are only just now seeing the potential for 3D printing, so you could transfer those skills over to CAD for businesses who need someone to visualise and prototype new products. @Levi works in product design so he's probably better placed to advise in that area.

Do you have any experience of coding? You mentioned UX/UI work, with your background in animation you could potentially open new routes with custom SVG animations for apps and websites. CreativeDash have some really inspiring examples of SVG/canvas animations, such as this loading animation – https://dribbble.com/shots/1901531-Loading

I'm not sure what the demand is like though to be honest, but it could potentially be another string to your bow. Web animation kind of occupies a void between web designers and web developers. Not many designers have the animation skills or background required so it often falls to a motion designer to handle.

You could always try contacting studios outside of your usual industries and see if they have a need for a 3D/motion designer, you might be surprised.

Before giving any comments I need to know more info about what area of 3D and motion design you do.
@Paul Murray it's a HUGE field with lots of different segments, CAD wouldn't necessarily be something that the OP is familiar with.

What programs do you use or are you familiar with.
Do you have any work we can see as this can often point out directions etc.
Can you expand on this section "the feedback is not the work but the fact that I have limited experience in-house.".... how do you currently work, is it freelance or via agency or for a company etc
And last but not least... when did you change your name.... you were originally Mark, you're now called Ben.

What sort of work do you normally produce? Could you try targeting a new sector perhaps, or adapt your 3D skills to other areas? Many companies are only just now seeing the potential for 3D printing, so you could transfer those skills over to CAD for businesses who need someone to visualise and prototype new products. @Levi works in product design so he's probably better placed to advise in that area.

Do you have any experience of coding? You mentioned UX/UI work, with your background in animation you could potentially open new routes with custom SVG animations for apps and websites. CreativeDash have some really inspiring examples of SVG/canvas animations, such as this loading animation – https://dribbble.com/shots/1901531-Loading

I'm not sure what the demand is like though to be honest, but it could potentially be another string to your bow. Web animation kind of occupies a void between web designers and web developers. Not many designers have the animation skills or background required so it often falls to a motion designer to handle.

You could always try contacting studios outside of your usual industries and see if they have a need for a 3D/motion designer, you might be surprised.

Thanks for this. The 3D printing could be a good idea, just a bit unsure where to start with this. I do not have any coding experience but maybe the animations for apps and websites is something worth exploring. When you say try contacting studios outside of my usual industries, do you have any examples of the type of companies you are thinking of? thanks again, much appreciated.

Before giving any comments I need to know more info about what area of 3D and motion design you do.
@Paul Murray it's a HUGE field with lots of different segments, CAD wouldn't necessarily be something that the OP is familiar with.

What programs do you use or are you familiar with.
Do you have any work we can see as this can often point out directions etc.
Can you expand on this section "the feedback is not the work but the fact that I have limited experience in-house.".... how do you currently work, is it freelance or via agency or for a company etc
And last but not least... when did you change your name.... you were originally Mark, you're now called Ben.

I typically use Cinema 4D for all of my 3D work and After Effects for 2D animation. my website is www.graphikboutique.com

I typically work with a number of agencies who give me freelance jobs, often working remotely. I am called 'Ben' I think I setup with Mark as I couldn't have 'Ben' as a username, sorry for the confusion.

Back