Advice on logo

ginomay89

Hello everyone :) I wondered if some of you could let me know which logo you think is best out the two I created.

I personally like the bottom one with the grey, but I don't know if this is a good idea?

I understand these might go against the rule of using too many colours, however I have seen other 'pixel' style logos on Google which use a lot of colours and manage to pull it off very well, and work on either a dark or light background.

I wanted to make something creative but keep things simple at the same time. I tried to make the logo/s so that either one could be displayed in mono if needed and not 'rely' on colour. I feel I managed to do all of this, but if you guys could offer your thoughts positive or negative that would be much appreciated! :)

Attachments

• pixlnine logo.jpg
    pixlnine logo.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 39
you just need to look at the small forum thumbnail for your answer here.... it's not clear and on the grey one you can't make out there's text there.

you just need to look at the small forum thumbnail for your answer here.... it's not clear and on the grey one you can't make out there's text there.
Thanks Levi :) I probably wouldn't display the logo this small, but I certainly get your point here and noted it

You might not display it this small but it's going to be small on phones, favicons and other websites.

What does is reperesent? By that I mean what is the logo for?

You might not display it this small but it's going to be small on phones, favicons and other websites.

What does is reperesent? By that I mean what is the logo for?

Yeah I think I'm leaning more towards the white one now for the reason Levi said.

For the favicon, or profile pic I will just use the coloured squares without text.

It's for a web design company

I read it as 'pix nine'. It was only after inspection I realised it was pixel nine. And that's what people will type into google, not pixl nine. Just something to think about.

I'd drop the rubik cube thing and just have the words.

And now the contencious bit: nobody apart from you cares about the logo. The simpler it is the better, look at the logo for this forum as an example.

This is going to keep me awake at night…

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 10.32.27.png

I'd definitely make the font bolder to help legibility at small scales. I'm also facing the same issue fisicx pointed out about not clearly being able to read the name at first glance, mainly due to that 'x' breaking the flow. I like that the random pixel takes the total count up to nine, but to me it makes the name read as pix'lnine. Technically this is correct because you've removed the 'e' but it can cause confusion so I'd probably drop it myself. Ironically there's actually 9 letters in 'pixelnine' :D

This is going to keep me awake at night…

View attachment 5629

I'd definitely make the font bolder to help legibility at small scales. I'm also facing the same issue fisicx pointed out about not clearly being able to read the name at first glance, mainly due to that 'x' breaking the flow. I like that the random pixel takes the total count up to nine, but to me it makes the name read as pix'lnine. Technically this is correct because you've removed the 'e' but it can cause confusion so I'd probably drop it myself. Ironically there's actually 9 letters in 'pixelnine' :D

Thanks Paul for your thoughts.

I'm going to take advice from this thread and have the wording all in white, make the font bolder, and also keep both words the same weight (instead of having the word 'nine' thinner).

I'm going to make the letter L taller and the bottom horizontal part longer so that at first glance it looks more like an L instead of an I

I'm also going to make the bottom part of the letter P longer. This should make it easier to read when scaled down.

I am mulling over removing the square in the letter X. I know it probably makes sense to do so, it's just a bit hard to let it go (lol sad I know)

Thanks for pointing out about the letter P not lining up with the squares above it, that has also just made my OCD go mental so I'll get it all aligned properly.

I would have preferred to use the word 'pixel' instead of 'pixl' however due to the increasing difficulty in preferred social media account names not being available, it forces you to be creative. I've also read that misspellings can actually be good for branding (such as logomakr.com or fiverr.com)

I'm also going to make the bottom part of the letter P longer. This should make it easier to read when scaled down.

I am mulling over removing the square in the letter X. I know it probably makes sense to do so, it's just a bit hard to let it go (lol sad I know)

Try having a completed letter 'x' for clarity and place the single, random pixel in the centre of the 'x' in another colour?

Another thing you could try is again having a completed letter 'x' and place the random, single pixel below the descender of the letter 'P', with spacing equal to the space between the group of pixels to match the harmony and good digital Feng Shui. This pixel would have to remain white as the point of it would also be to visually lengthen the letter P descender, as well as act as the 9th pixel, hence the space...

These are just ideas to experiment with, they may or may not work.

The second one is very difficult to read on screen - that dark grey on black.
So i'd have to go fo the 1st one.

Hah, then your mate must need his eyes testing
No, like I said he just glanced and saw 'dix line' and said to me 'who would name their company Dicks Line?'

A number of posts suggest the structure of the logo isn't the easiest to read. Tweaking the font might not be sufficient.

Hello everyone :) I wondered if some of you could let me know which logo you think is best out the two I created.

I personally like the bottom one with the grey, but I don't know if this is a good idea?

I understand these might go against the rule of using too many colours, however I have seen other 'pixel' style logos on Google which use a lot of colours and manage to pull it off very well, and work on either a dark or light background.

I wanted to make something creative but keep things simple at the same time. I tried to make the logo/s so that either one could be displayed in mono if needed and not 'rely' on colour. I feel I managed to do all of this, but if you guys could offer your thoughts positive or negative that would be much appreciated! :)
i like it (y) but am A NOOB mate so dont take my advice :D

Back