Advice on creating a presentation.

gabeaplando

Hey guys! I'm just asking if any of you have any advice, im a first year student at university studying graphic design. I have to create a 10 slide power point researching an occupation i have been given (its a branding exercise, i have to research first). I've currently done 3 slides, however im struggling to create more slides. What kind of information should i include and research? So far i have included an introduction to the occupation, some of the equipment they use and existing brands within that organisation.

Don't forget to include market research in their competitors brands.

Mood boards
Logo ideas for the brand etc

Not quite sure what you mean by brand/occupation.
Am I right in thinking that say, you've been given SEO Expert for instance and you need to explain it in a kind of branded way?

Sounds like (to me) a good excuse to create an info-graphic style presentation.
I'd jot down the key areas/things you need to cover.
Maybe start with a title page, then your intro and then move onto specifics of the occupation with some stat's (graphs make good fillers).
If you're finding your research a bit thin, explain it graphically.
Do a bit of research of the occupation which could include stuff like:

Pay scales, training/education, percentages, career progression, or whatever that is specific to the job.

A bit hard to say without knowing what the occupation is but I'd do a search for something you know about like Graphic Design then you'll find LOADS of info-graphics and stuff relating to that and use that as a guide.

Thanks for the advice guys! Sorry if I wasn't clear, the short version is ive been given the occupation 'digital detective' and I have to create a research power point that's at least 10 slides long. I was just struggling on making it that long because I dont know what kind of information I should add.

"Digital Detective"?

Is that like fighting cyber crime or something?

Boy did you pull the short straw. ;)

Best bit of advice I can give you is this... ask the tutor what they would like to see on the slides. Seriously when I was at uni I was the only one to do this with the 'new tutors' for the second year and it paid off as they wanted a different style to what the first year tutors did :)

Other than that don't cram too much onto each page, you could just do 10 points to get 10 pages or even spread one 'topic' over multiple pages, I've seen Apple take half a dozen slides to say a product has a longer battery life than the last version lol

So you need to create a brand around the idea of a "digital detective?" That actually sounds quite fun!

My advice would be to Keep text content on the slides to a minimum. You should be talking your audience through the content, not just repeating what's on the slides. I hate having to sit through a presentation or slide that I've just read. Use the slides as your backdrop and engage the audience verbally.

I'd also check if Powerpoint format is required. I did all my presentations in InDesign and ran through them as a PDF as did a few others. Powerpoint is an awfully clumsy program to use, and you'll have much greater control over the design and presentation if you use something like InDesign, which makes your overall presentation instantly look more appealing.

Correction...powerpoint was an awfully clumsy program to use.

Now - I love using powerpoint to create presentations - it's really very flexible and the use of animations subtly can make a huge difference.

I love indesign - but I prefer to make the presentations in Powerpoint - especially in work - then I'm not lumbered with making all the corrections in InDesign!

Correction...powerpoint was an awfully clumsy program to use.

Now - I love using powerpoint to create presentations - it's really very flexible and the use of animations subtly can make a huge difference.

I love indesign - but I prefer to make the presentations in Powerpoint - especially in work - then I'm not lumbered with making all the corrections in InDesign!

Which version are you using?

Whatever the latest version is.

You can even "Link" images. And you can click on an image right click and Replace Image etc.

It's really not all that bad.

If it could do bleed it wouldn't be terrible for an office deisgner

powerpoint 2010 (I use this version, no point in going higher for my needs) and above are a large improvement over the earlier versions in my opinion, you can even do different screen resolutions :p. You could always try using sway if on windows 10 or feel ok with using the online version (you'll find it in onedrive along with the other online office apps) as thats supposed to be pretty nice not that I've had much use for it.

Yeah my tutors have been pushing us to use indesign more, i'm still not used to using it but i'm getting there! Yeah my first reaction to getting digital detective was basically 'what the heck is that' but i guess its better to brand something you dont know about then to get something your more familiar with, since you learn different things. :D Thanks for the advice everyone! Much appreciated.

Back