Advice on an unusual graphic design interview request.

-luciano-

Hello everyone,
This is my first post so please excuse me if i've posted in the wrong section.
I recently applied for a job i saw advertised and they got back to me the very next day asking if i would be available for an interview, so of course i said yes then he gave me a date and time.
But after i went back to have a better look at the advert i noticed something about "designing a logo" to take to the interview and also designing something whilst i'm there... is this normal?
I've been working freelance for a few years so of course i'm very cautious of potential clients, but this is a job as an in house designer for a small local printing company.
Anyway, i'll post the advert here and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Description
Temporary for 13 weeks leading to permanent. Required to work in a small print shop in ***** dealing with customers requests for reprints and new designs both face to face and via email/telephone. Must have excellent knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and be highly experienced in Design. Excellent communication and the ability to follow direction is essential. Duties will include designing various art work including logo creation, amending artwork and a variety of other design projects within timescales. Applicants who are chosen for interview will be asked to create a new logo to bring to the interview. During the interview the candidate will be asked to complete a sample job from provided material. Experience not essential, however you must have completed a design related college or university course.

So they're asking you to design 2 logos, then there's a chance that you won't even get the job? I'm assuming you're not the only applicant. Lets say there is at least 10. They'd be getting 20 logos designed, for nothing, then they only have to employ/pay 1 of you. That's even if they even make a decision to take 1 of the applicants on. Cheeky bastards, I'd tell them to get stuffed. Sounds like crowdsourcing to me, but a lot of effort just to get a logo done. I've certainly never been asked to do that before, and if I was, I know what I'd say.

My thoughts exactly! I think i'll be giving this one a miss then. Bloody con artists.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Hi Just thought I'd say that virtually every job interview I have ever been to has asked me to do a sample layout/Logo design/booklet layout etc etc etc. this is ushually in the second round of interviews but really this is fine! (and they weren't crappy rip off jobs, the british transport police, london underground, design agencies and adversting agencies)
But that just me go with your gut feeling:)

Hi Just thought I'd say that virtually every job interview I have ever been to has asked me to do a sample layout/Logo design/booklet layout etc etc etc. this is ushually in the second round of interviews but really this is fine! (and they weren't crappy rip off jobs, the british transport police, london underground, design agencies and adversting agencies)
But that just me go with your gut feeling:)

I'd agree with this. I think you two above are being a bit cynical; many, many of the jobs I have applied for have required some kind of test. It makes sense, anyone could lift artwork for a portfolio and say "I did that" and a lot of people self-teach and basically don't actually have any indepth knowledge of the processes involved.

Maybe i was being a bit cynical now that i've seen your replies. I didn't realise how common it was, i've actually never heard of it being done before so thank you for informing me lol maybe i should have went for it :icon_Wall: oh well.

Back