Advice needed - What to bring to an interview where the director hates overpackaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anagoge

Read this quote from Thoughtful:

“In a world of limited resources, we feel a responsibility to lead by example,” they say of their green philosophy. “We hate the idea of overpackaging anything.” In an attempt to practise what they preach, they print all their stationery in-house, “as and when we need it, using 100 per cent recycled paper and a bog-standard laser printer”.

I have a portfolio surgery with them on Wednesday 25th at Urbis in Manchester. It's not an interview for a job, but a 20 minute chance to discuss my work with the director of Thoughtful.

Now, to begin with, I was thinking of taking in a small 'press kit' of The Work Of, something which Jeff Fisher inspired me to start thinking about. I wanted to include many of the things in Jeff's list, all presented nicely in some sort of nicely designed folder.

However, with overpackaging being hated, would Thoughtful think I was thoughtless?

Another idea of course would be to simply buy a cheap USB drive and stick everything on there. But because I'm very much a tactile person when it comes to design, this seems wrong.

So, what say you fellow designers? Do I go in with guns blazing, business cards shining, or do I go for a more muted approach and if so, what would you take with you if you had this opportunity?

Oh, I like this post!!!
A Portfolio surgery! EPIC!!! wish i had thought of that!
But seriously, a GREAT OPPORTUNITY to show your creative skills and thinking in a 'surgery'
Understand the very essence of the company ethos and strategy and the job could be yours on the spot. Be like everyone else and your history. You have a great opportunity to make an instant impression, think creative! think about the presentation ( surgery) and how to make an impact. Remember the most powerful thing about a song or music is not the number of notes or the order you play them in, it's the ones you DON'T play. After 30 years,the most powerful portfolio/interview/impression I ever saw, was one young lad with a crinkly brown paper bag and 3 pieces of illustration in it. And the work was amazing. I felt i had discovered Leonardo. He also left me wanting to see more.... (He got a 2nd and 3rd interview, but not the final job) But he created instant separation from the flock. As I say, while every one else Zigs..I Zag.

Berry, so with everything you've said, what would be the answer to my question? I'm not sure you answered it.

Ha! deleted my own post!!!!!

Well that was QUICK..... even for me.

In a nutshell...waste of time and space. There is no job there, just two self indulgent designers on a creative planet.
There is no business model or long term future. All arse and no substance. Save yourself the travel cost and the self indulgent conversation dialogue and just ring anyone up from the Yellow Pages. Move on

Berry, Thoughtful are responsible for creating the branding seen at the Liverpool Biennial late last year, which was highly prominent. They've also designed mailers for D&AD. I definitely would not call them all arse and no substance.

Anagoge said:
Berry, Thoughtful are responsible for creating the branding seen at the Liverpool Biennial late last year, which was highly prominent. They've also designed mailers for D&AD. I definitely would not call them all arse and no substance.

Then, hope you get a job

Like I said, it's not an interview for a job. It's to get some constructive comments on my portfolio. I'm very much looking forward to it!

Sorry - but the funk is a portfolio surgery???

There is no chance of an actual physical job at the end of this 'meeting'? Just two designers with plenty of spare time flicking through your pages?

Crikey.

Well if they print off their own stationery, recycle tea bags and use old newspapers for toilet roll - i'd email them over any work samples - so they can print off my stuff (ideally on the back of some already used paper), and if they don't like the idea of 'overpackaging' i'd walk in stark b*llock naked.

Reminds me of my first agency interview (for a junior designer role)- where i was told beforehand to 'dress in a way that best represents you'. The young lad before me was dressed up as a clown. And the girl who i saw in the carpark (after i had my interview) carrying a large black A3 portfolio was fancily dressed as a pencil.

Classic.

"A selected group of senior creatives from top advertising, design and digital agencies in the area will be the hosts of these 20 minute one-on-one crits. Each University Network Member course is entitled to nominate four of their best students."

It's part of the D&AD event that's happening at URBIS currently. I think it'll be a really useful way to possibly get my foot in the door with a company and at the very least, get some advice on what's good and bad in my portfolio and how to improve on it.

Let us know how it goes Neil, has certainly sparked some controversy here it seems!

With regards to what to take in, it is a portfolio review as such, so would avoid the all your work on a USB pen approach! But would think about cutting down on anything other than your work examples, thinking out loud is there some way you could include a tear away part on one example of printed work to leave your contact details with them?

I personally don't see it as a waste of time, I did the same thing (although it didn't have the fancy name!) with an agency called Still Waters Run Deep when I was in my last year at Uni, and the Senior Designer I met there was really helpful and had lots of suggestions :)

Greg

I could stir some crap in this post but I won't! ;-)

I think the idea of a "surgery" is very cool and relevant to students who haven't graduated yet but want established and professional creatives to crit their work.

Yes, please let us know how it goes!!

Greg, your idea of including some sort of tear away is a nice idea. I hadn't thought about doing that. What I was going to do is include a small file of things related to me, but thought perhaps that might be overkill for a company so committed to minimalism.

Thanks for the idea. I'll consider it.

No problems Neil, was just thinking if there was some potential for something that can serve a double purpose :)

Are you serious?! People actually dressed up for a job as pencils and clowns...i guess creative but man so embarrassing! What did you go as? :p

Just do what you feel is true to yourself. After all that's the only way you're going to learn anything from this.
Alternatively, you could always dress as a gorilla and throw poo at them:)

br3n said:
More to the point, why does a design agency website not show any design work?

Because they have their head up their arse.

Pretentious farts. The real world is here!

Charlieburt85 said:
Are you serious?! People actually dressed up for a job as pencils and clowns...i guess creative but man so embarrassing! What did you go as? :p

I'm all for people demonstrating creativity........ but as i keep saying...never design in front of communication. Remember you can Devalue as well as ADD Value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back