Advice needed - What to bring to an interview where the director hates overpackaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
matt said:
Do I sense a little envy here Berry?

Envy - Not in the least.

But after reading the web copy and the youthful aloofness and pretentiousness of it all certainly wouldn't want to be stuck in a lift with them.

I'm all for dictorial firmness and strength of commitment and direction in anyone, but their communication vehicle of their own website leaves pretentious impression with me. They may be great lads and great designers ( not that I can see any work on the site) so i can only go by the impression they have sent to me.

I think i agree with berry here (think)

theyre trying so hard to appear different and unique. I cant/wont get my head around a design firm using plain text and not displaying any form of portfolio/work.

Charlieburt85 said:
Are you serious?! People actually dressed up for a job as pencils and clowns...i guess creative but man so embarrassing! What did you go as? :p

Yep - actually watching this poor lass 'hobble in' in a actual pencil fancy dress suit was fantastic - i nigh on pissed myself. It was hot day too.

I went dressed in jeans, a a tee shirt and a nice piece of knitwear.

When asked why i dressed in that way - i said i like my work to represent me. And if i were to be successful in getting the job thats what id normally wear, and what i felt most comfortable and creative in.

I got the job like. Shame it didn't last.

i think best is not to print at all.
put something online... put something online and stop worring... if this is all about economy of resourse do not oveheat the planet (and your head) making a portfolio. upload your stuff in any existing pre-formatted one (there are many around, and honestly blogger works sweet) and that's all.
if you have nice looking bcards, make sure your link's on it. if not make sure you get theirs to exchange emails later.

remember your work is the important bit, not the portfolio itself.

On the other hand, a computer screen uses lots of power to lighten up etc... If you are ready to get this printed at a printer (not just a copyshop) then they probably have some rougher recycled/recycable paper.

I think this is something all designers should give a thought too, not just for impressing but actually beeing concious about these things.

Just to clarify, my portfolio itself will be printed. There's no ifs or buts about that. It will be printed. My question is about what I leave them with.

Brand yourself.

Have business cards (recycled paper or other recycled material if possible).

Have great work.

Present it clearly and don't say too much about each piece.

Go to every interview you can, even if there isn't a job available. It is valuable experience. It also gets your face known and can pay dividends years later.

Get as much feedback as you can. Don't just do what everyone says, select the advice you agree with and act on it. MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS.

Good luck.

Hi Neil

Thanks for coming along to the D&AD portfolio sessions today. You shouldn't have worried about it too much, we're not tree huggers, or environmental activists who would’ve strung you up for coming in with something 'overpackaged'. But then you probably know that now, having met us face to face.

You can often find us sat at our macs gazing in awe at gorgeously produced packaging like the kind Mark Farrow does (no work on his website for years....funny that), but we're more about reduction – of not just materials but the idea. We’d only say something was 'overpackaged' if any of the elements to the design were unnecessary.

When you approach companies, just be true to yourself, like Scotty mentioned before. You’ll get found out sooner or later if you're not. We do the same and it works. We work with clients like howies, innocent drinks, D&AD and The Tate. They’ve probably had every design agency in the land beating their doors down, and can spot a fake instantly. But every one of them says they like working with us because of the way we do things.

Anyway, good to meet you today Neil. If you want to know anymore about us, just get in touch.
Chris

Hi Neil,
Sounds like your interview with the guys at Thoughtful went well :)

Hi Chris,
Thanks for stopping by the forums & leaving your feedback to this thread.

I'm closing this thread now as I think it has run its course, and I don't want the discussion to take this thread off-topic. Thanks, Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back