Advice needed on Logo Design Companies

rui andrade

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice, if possible.

I've been looking at some logo design companies, but have no idea if they are considered reputable or not. They are not those contest type of company that get 50 designers to work for you. I've read enough about those and am not impressed.

These companies say that they'll get two designers working on your Logo, you get two revision or something like that (some say infinite....another alarm goes in my head) and finally you should get it finalized in one week or so. They cost around 250-300$. I would name them, but I'm not sure if that goes against the forum rules or not.

Thanks!

Hmmm? Hard to say really without seeing who they are.

I think you're right to have your reservations though.
I guess it all depends what you want at the end of the day.
A lot (if not all) of these companies will be taking advantage of 'designers' in countries with a poorer economy who will work for almost nothing
and what you may be getting may be just some free clip-art mashed together with a company name or even someone else's logo ripped from a logo site.
It's very common practice.

I read on a blog somewhere about a design company putting one of these to the test.
They gave them the brief and then kind of played the difficult client to see where it would go.
In all fairness they did respond with revisions although it looked like some were lost in translation and the end result was pretty mediocre.

My advice to you (if you want a decent custom made logo) is to find a reputable designer who's work you like the look of and work with them.
Most likely you'll end up paying more but it really is a case of "you get what you pay for".

Hmmm? Hard to say really without seeing who they are.

I think you're right to have your reservations though.
I guess it all depends what you want at the end of the day.
A lot (if not all) of these companies will be taking advantage of 'designers' in countries with a poorer economy who will work for almost nothing
and what you may be getting may be just some free clip-art mashed together with a company name or even someone else's logo ripped from a logo site.
It's very common practice.

I read on a blog somewhere about a design company putting one of these to the test.
They gave them the brief and then kind of played the difficult client to see where it would go.
In all fairness they did respond with revisions although it looked like some were lost in translation and the end result was pretty mediocre.

My advice to you (if you want a decent custom made logo) is to find a reputable designer who's work you like the look of and work with them.
Most likely you'll end up paying more but it really is a case of "you get what you pay for".

Hi and thanks for your reply.

The companies I mentioned are the ones below. They are all ".com" except for the last one which is ".net". I removed the links just to be on the safe side, but I didn't see anything in the Terms and Rules that prevents me from mentioning them, I think. They do not appear to be "contest" companies, but I wonder who they really are.

logoworks
thelogofactory
logocrust
logobee
logodesignteam
logoinn
businesslogo

If not with this sort of company, them I guess the next step would be to contact a specific designer directly, as you mentioned, and work with him/her. Problem is I'm a complete newbie in this sort of thing and have no idea where to go to find designers portfolios to choose one to work with...

Thanks for your help!

logoworks
thelogofactory
logocrust
logobee
logodesignteam
logoinn
businesslogo
This is the problem. 'Logo' is such a competative search term nowadays, and is often targeted by bottom feeders churning out absolute rubbish. If a deal like 'infinite revisions' or 'pay if you like it' sounds too good to be true, it probably is. They're cheap because the labour is cheap, the service is cheap, and the outcome is cheap.

You're much better off paying 3x what these companies charge and hiring a single designer who charges a professional rate and delivers a professional design. There's many designers on here who can help you, post a request in the tenders section with a brief and a budget and they'll get in touch. Check out their portfolios and if you like the work, hire one. General practice is to request a deposit of 50% up front so expect that, with the final payment due when work is completed.

Back