Advice Needed For Logo Design - Very Similar To Another Company

dm.collier

Hi guys,

My first post and I'm seeking some advice on my logo design.

Had a logo designed for my business signage and branding etc.

Browsing the internet the other evening has got me worried...

COPY OF MY LOGO.jpg

WEIGHTLIFTING-CLIPART-IMAGE.jpg

HYPERMASS LOGO facebook.jpg

as you can see they are all very similar!!! can i still use mine?? or should i change it??

They're identical - one is poor copy of another.

Let me guess, crowdsourced?

You should definitely change it.

Oh get your money back - big time.

You can post your brief on these forums and someone will be back with a quote.

Tenders & Services Required Forum:

Have a look through the stickies there too

You don't really need a word of warning, but crowdsourcing sites are amateur designers with what I suspect to be pirated software, and any logos I've ever seen from them have been complete rip offs of other logos.

A professional graphic designer or company will give you much better results and all the correct options for printing.

I'm not going to lie, it's not cheap, but it's better than being sued.

I've seen logos done for 150 quid, someone pops in with an original sketch, redraw it and out the door.

I've seen logos that took 10 months to complete, coming to over 100k in payment.

Whatever quote you get is what it is. Take a look at people's portfolios and go with the one you like most along with what's in your budget.

Most of all, value your company logo as much as you value your company, and respect that a professional designers time and work is worth every penny for you.

Presuming yours is the one in the photo, all they've done is use a stock image of a body-builder which is exactly the same as the second one. If they've paid for that image they've done
nothing wrong apart from possibly rip you off with what they've charged you. As Hank says, you get what you pay for. The third one is just a poor copy.

Even stock images are subject to license where it cannot be used as part of logo - most of the time.

Yes, I should have said, as long as they've paid for the right license to be used as a logo.

Exactly why using stock images for a logo is not a good idea. Even if you pay the correct license fee you end up with a generic boring same as competitors logo.

If you look up Nebraska Broadcasting Center vs NBC - you'll see that Nebraska sued NBC back in 1976 for copying their logo and won.

There's tonnes of cases similar to that one.

Hello,

Out of interest, would you mind confirming whether or not this was a crowdsourcing job. We can only assume so by the looks of things. Or did you hire a designer to do the job? Don't need to name names, it's just this would be a good reference for people who are thinking of using a crowdsourcing site rather than spending the extra buck to hire a professional.

Roughly, how much did he/she/they charge you if you don't mind be asking? I hope it was a 2 figure fee.

Hello,

Out of interest, would you mind confirming whether or not this was a crowdsourcing job. We can only assume so by the looks of things. Or did you hire a designer to do the job? Don't need to name names, it's just this would be a good reference for people who are thinking of using a crowdsourcing site rather than spending the extra buck to hire a professional.

Roughly, how much did he/she/they charge you if you don't mind be asking? I hope it was a 2 figure fee.

I actually asked a designer through facebook for this. it only cost me £70. i suppose ive learnt my lesson and the more money you pay the better quality the design.

I personally thought it looked pretty good... obviously i dont want to use this on clothing etc and have a law case on my hands

I actually asked a designer through facebook for this. it only cost me £70. i suppose ive learnt my lesson and the more money you pay the better quality the design.

I personally thought it looked pretty good... obviously i dont want to use this on clothing etc and have a law case on my hands

Exactly! At least you know for next time. Try and get a refund but if you can't be grateful it was only £70 and count your losses. If you hire a professional, you will make that money back in no time, although their fee will not be anywhere near £70. I'll be happy to help you if needed, feel free to get in touch.

Exactly! At least you know for next time. Try and get a refund but if you can't be grateful it was only £70 and count your losses. If you hire a professional, you will make that money back in no time, although their fee will not be anywhere near £70. I'll be happy to help you if needed, feel free to get in touch.

I think i'll cut my loses to be honest. I've tried to contact the designer and he isn't replying. Thanks for your help, appreciate it!!

I don't think you've done bad for £70. As long as they've paid for the stock image properly, as stated before, for use as a logo, you have a decent design, just not a unique one.

All it's done has got the back up of professionals like us who have lost another potential job.

For 70 quid I don't think the proper license has been obtained. And I doubt they even went to stock imagery route.

It looks like a poor rip off. And for 70 quid, it probably is.

For 70 quid I don't think the proper license has been obtained. And I doubt they even went to stock imagery route.

It looks like a poor rip off. And for 70 quid, it probably is.

My thoughts exactly. And even with the best case and unlikely scenario that they did obtain a license, it is usually only allowed for use for a period of time or number of copies etc.

But tbh, it is not any of that stuff that bothers me really, it is more the fact that a designer was paid to design a logo, and he has not produced a logo. What he has is an illustration with some text.

Back