Advice needed for brochure design

Dee Pat

Hi everyone,

I have been approached by a client to design a 16 page annual report including the front and back cover and wanted to get your thoughts if I am pricing this correctly.

I am thinking to quote between £800-£900 for the full design. The text and images will be provided by them and printing will be done by them as well. They have given me 2-3 months to design the whole report. I have to do the design and layout.

Does this seem like a right quote? This is the first time I am designing an annual report but have done smaller print design jobs in the past, but nothing early as big as this.

Hope that some of you in this forum can help! thanks!

16 page - minus 4 page cover = 12 pages.

15 minutes a page for text
30 minutes a page for graphs/illustrations

Approx 6 pages text = 1.5 hours
Approx 6 pages graphics = 3 hours

Total time = 4.5 hours
Approx cost = £350

4 page cover = £450

Total cost = £800

So I think you have it about right.

Thanks for the advice hankscorpio!

Yes it's 14 A4 sides, plus the front and back cover , making it 16 in total.

The only thing I'm concerned about it the amount of revisions and editing I think they are expecting. Because they've given me a long time until the deadline, I feel like they will come back with multiple changes and proofs for the duration of the design work.
Should I be charging extra for this on top of the quote, lets say £850? Or is that too less?

I usually allow 3 editor proofs (not design changes)

Any further proofs are at a cost of the hourly rate.

Basically - if you are on proof 3 and they request more changes I would advise that the base cost has been reached which would be 800 or 900 quid - and any further changes after this are charged hourly.

You can use an online tracking system to record your hours - previously I have used https://due.com/time/

I usually allow 3 editor proofs (not design changes)

Any further proofs are at a cost of the hourly rate.

Basically - if you are on proof 3 and they request more changes I would advise that the base cost has been reached which would be 800 or 900 quid - and any further changes after this are charged hourly.

You can use an online tracking system to record your hours - previously I have used https://due.com/time/

The Due website is a great resource, thanks for this!

And one last question if you don't mind helping me with.
This quote for £800-900 is for designing the report with the same design format and look of the client's previous annual report. So I would be designing the report with the same design format with a few tweaks and small changes in the look of the design.

If I was to offer them a complete redesign of the report, with a new layout design for all the spreads and cover, how much should I be quoting them? I am totally confused with this as I don't want to quote something ridiculously high, but also not quote a low price and realise I underestimated the amount of extra work that will go into doing a brand new design. Would I be right to charge around £1000 for a complete new design? or more?

Thank you so much for your advice!

Back