Advice Needed - Email Request for work.

maskell24

Hi Guys,

I received a Email from Jean Star from Fansforcharity.com earlier today, asking me if i was interested in brushing up the sites design and making something more accessible. My First question was do you have a budget and she does have a budget and I am willing to work with in her budget.

My only real concern is that she contacted me from L.A of all places - she may have found my site through I don't know as its not active all it is is a holding page - Welcome to Liam Maskell Design ? The Portfolio of Graphic Designer Liam Maskell and I haven't really advertised my services on the net only through twitter where I am pretty active all the time.

We spoke for about a hour on Skype, asking each other questions about the work, she seemed genuine.

Heres something that really worries me she has told me she will pay me once the work is completed. Would this be spec work??? And has anyone else had anything like this before?

What do you guys think? I am relativity new to the design world - I think its about my 6th Month of Freelancing now, so I do have a lot to learn.

Liam

If you don't know the client / have no payment history then definately 50% upfront, 50% on completion.

Simple. If they have a problem with that then you probably wouldn't get paid anyway.

yep 50% upfront, otherwise are you going to go to LA to chase up payment??? ... nah didnt think so! get the money upfront!

Of course the beauty with hosting websites is, if they don't pay up, you can always take it down...

Hey Guys thanks for all the advice :) I have requested 50% before any more work is shared at all. Although I think I might get stung here... :( I haven't heard nothing back since I submitted the Invoice needless to say this doesn't mean that she wont be paying just means she could be busy ect.

Although I did hand over 6 jpgs last night of designs but they were all watermarked and half the size of the psd files. I just hope she doesn't get another designer to finish things up...

any way thank you for your advice guys!

Liam

maskell24 said:
Although I did hand over 6 jpgs last night of designs but they were all watermarked and half the size of the psd files. I just hope she doesn't get another designer to finish things up...

So...... you have done work on a speculative basis before agree any terms, to someone you don't know, on another continent with a 10 hour time difference.

.......Could you send me your Visa card with the Chip & Pin number please.

haha although he is right. I do need to learn some time. Although since my last post i have had some contact.

Back