Advice for Brand Development Project

Dee Pat

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if some of you could help me with a prospective project and give me some advice for it, it's the first time I'm doing such a brief.

It involves creating a logo, secondary logo and submark for website, business cards and marketing materials, as well as doing the banner for the website to be used in print and online such as social media.

It seems like quite a big project, and the client has asked about what the process will be and how many estimated hours it would usually take. I have no idea where to start with how many hours to say as I usually have a set fee for a project, whereas here they want to pay me by an hourly rate so I have to give them a set amount of hours of how long it would take me before we go ahead.

Hope that some of you can help this newbie!

they want to pay me by an hourly rate so I have to give them a set amount of hours of how long it would take me before we go ahead.

How do you usually decide a price for a project when you price it as a fixed fee, can you not just use that formula here?

Do you have a day rate? I tend to price either for full days (~8 hours) or half days (~4 hours), I find it's easier to estimate based on these figures rather than guessing a number of hours, even though it's technically the same amount of time.

Be careful that you don't end up in an awkward situation where the client expects to pay a fixed amount based on your estimate. If they want to pay a fixed price, quote them a higher fee to account for extra time that will inevitably slip in. Be sure to list everything they will get for that price so you can clearly see how much work is involved beforehand. So avoid terms like "marketing materials" and instead list everything that needs to be created and price accordingly. Otherwise they may expect more than you deliver.

If they want to pay hourly then charge them hourly and update them on how much the job is costing every so often so they can decide if they want to pay more or not for the extra work they thought they needed. Often they'll realise they don't need half the work they requested when they realise they'll have to pay for it. :giggle:

Back