Advice for a promotion to Sr. Designer

Frutiger

I'm hoping someone with experience at a senior or art direction level can help me. Back in January, I was talking to my boss about having more projects to do and that got him thinking. About a month later, he approached me about a promotion for a Senior Designer role (I have 21 years of experience, but was hired as a mid-level Graphic Designer about two years ago). I think the transition will be tough. He's already having me do small tasks like reviewing the junior's work, which she doesn't like at all, and a non-designer's work as well. I'm getting the "stink eye" because of this and being labeled as a "know it all." Nobody knows about this promotion but me and my boss (creative director). Maybe it's because my promotion isn't official yet and even though I DO know more about this stuff then anyone else there, I'm still getting isolated (not from everyone, just two or three people). It would be interesting to hear some your stories and how you handled this transition among your peers. Was there friction? If so, how did you handle it? This is really bothering me because I like everyone there. Thank you.

I think this is an interesting thread that should be looked at for sure. I am finding myself in your same shoes (but in a lil bit of a different situation), where I see myself as more but always get shut down in 'that box'. Knowing your worth is a massive reason of conflict. You most definitely don't want to pass as someone who knows it all, but your knowledgeable and you are aware and others are also. Jealousy also plays a big part in this industry. Instead of knowing that one day you will become like that, well, others fight and it has nothing to do with what you are doing at all... It's just human nature. My best advise is to always be humble. Reassure others, instead of pointing out their mistakes. The senior designer should act as a mentor.. really, and should not judge regardless of circumstances.

The transition to any sort of managerial or supervisory role is a lonely one.

My wife used to be in the military and when she first got promoted to Sargent, she said there was some resentment amongst people that were her peers who she now had rank over. In a way, it is your first test of managerial skills to be able to win them over and work with them. Even if you achieve it, there will always be – and has to be – a difference in the relationship. A certain distance has to be maintained.

It’s lonely at the top.

I’ve never been lonely!!

One trick I've learned over the years.

Hey <junior designer> or <non designer>
I was researching a new project and I remembered you're working on something similar.
Hope you don't mind, but I was looking at it to see how you solved the problem.
Everything looks great!
Can I ask though, is there a reason why you approached this section like this? Seems like it should be done this way.

Or you can say I noticed a change they asked for that wasn't implemented. Maybe you can fix it before it's sent to the client.

In essence, I would approach them in a manner to suggest I wasn't checking their work, but rather looking for another reason and noticed a couple of small fixes that might help them.

It's a million times worse when a client comes back with a mistake that a designer made.

Another thing you could suggest to your co-workers is a 'buddy system' - before it goes to the client you can check over to ensure all fixes are ok.

Implement a checklist of checks that both the designer and the more senior designer have to sign like a PDF document.

Then it becomes an official document, that the junior/non-designer fills out with basic checks (whatever they are)
And the more senior person (you) the 'buddy' will also sign on a 2nd page.

It's then stored with the task on the server.

This way you can be sure they pass the file to you as you have to sign it (or someone signs it) before it goes anywhere.

Are designs consistent/on brand/all changes completed/comparison of the files

There are ways to encourage people to work better and smarter without changing the entire world and feeling in the office.

If something is official then it must be done as company policy.

I'd start by talking to the boss about the changes you want to implement and the benefits of the changes.
Who are the designers - who are the checkers - who signs what document - what checks to perform

From here you can start to take control.
Implement work instructions - common methods for working on files
Increase the checklists
Create Problem Solver files - a list of common issues with a client, logo always top left, location of their brand books - anything that people can follow verbatim.

Like anything in life - consistency is key.

at the end of the day - you're the Senior Designer - or the senior in the team.

Act like it.
People will fall in line.

If you're creating and controlling the documents - then people come to you when there's an issue.

Hold meetings about the errors reported by customers - track errors on an Excel sheet that designers made.
Do a presentation about it - not mentioning names - just what went wrong.
Create lists of top trending errors - like low-quality images - changes not done, and incorrect things spotted by customers.

Talk through these things with the team once a month.

Up to you - take control.
When you start creating these control measures, people start coming to you.

You don't have to go to them.

I'm hoping someone with experience at a senior or art direction level can help me. Back in January, I was talking to my boss about having more projects to do and that got him thinking. About a month later, he approached me about a promotion for a Senior Designer role (I have 21 years of experience, but was hired as a mid-level Graphic Designer about two years ago). I think the transition will be tough. He's already having me do small tasks like reviewing the junior's work, which she doesn't like at all, and a non-designer's work as well. I'm getting the "stink eye" because of this and being labeled as a "know it all." Nobody knows about this promotion but me and my boss (creative director). Maybe it's because my promotion isn't official yet and even though I DO know more about this stuff then anyone else there, I'm still getting isolated (not from everyone, just two or three people). It would be interesting to hear some your stories and how you handled this transition among your peers. Was there friction? If so, how did you handle it? This is really bothering me because I like everyone there. Thank you.
I won't go into too much detail about my past, it is long and boring. But you are correct. Inside every graphic designer is a human, stink eyes, resentment, and being expected to crack the whip all come part and parcel. I personally preferred Art Directing to management. At an old company started out as a junior designer, gained colleague friends, had laughs, and all sorts.

I quickly got moved on to hiring other junior designers and graduates. Personally, I enjoyed mentoring and helping other designers get their foot on the rung. This bit was good. I then climbed up to a more senior level, all good on paper... but the reality.

I made some bad moves myself, some pitfalls I would never have expected. I was too personal and friendly with my team from before my promotion, this became a millstone for getting people to play ball when needed. Here is what I would expect when moving to your new position:-

- Be likable, but not too likable
- Remember you are working with humans
- Be fair
- Be professional and maintain professional boundaries
- Haters are goner hate, again stay professional and mind your footing, colleagues can be spiteful
- Be polite and understanding
- Accept that you will be lonely - this also helps when you need to make unpleasant choices and help maintain some air of authority. Keep enough distance in other words
- Be prepared to offer diplomatic dressing downs... accept you will get the same from the top
- Wrap your head around your company's picture goals
- Learn from other managers and seniors
- Try not to make enemies to early on!

You will notice managers tend to hang with managers... they, we're were a lonely bunch that can moan about management things. You basically need to make sure people working under you are doing what is asked. Nobody likes being told what to do especially, by friends!

Back