Adobe InDesign

Elekate

Yeah I have recently got Adobe InDesign, as it has been recommended to me.

Just wondered where to start on it, as I am totally new to using it :confused:

Hi Elekate have you ever used Quark or anything like that? As they are very similar in the way that they work :)

Other than that definitely go to the site that twiggy recommended. InDesign is well worth learning :)

Problem is quark is slowly getting muscled out by indesign, Probably because indesign is tied into the rest of creative suite.

Yeah im not saying quark is rubbish or anything. If anything its a little bit nicer (well i think so) but the fact its tied into CS is useful. To be honest i think i just like old apps, because i preferred macromedia freehand to illustrator.

I have no problems (and use) both regularly depending upon clients etc.. Some prefer Quark for one reason or another :p

There are still a few issues with InDesign that so far Adobe seem reluctant to deal with, although they are well publicised - assuming you're using a Mac, CS3 and Leopard, there are really annoying things like the inability to hide the application to get back to the desktop without having to move the window, every now and again it force-quits itself <hooray for temporary files> and its reluctance every now and again to switch between itself and other applications without having to reboot the Finder.

But that said, I use it now instead of Quark, which I've been using since version 3.3!

That's part of the issue too - cmd-h or option-clicking to the finder doesn't hide the window. Not often, but it picks its moments...

There are other CS3/Leopard issues too, such as Photoshop - if you move from Photoshop directly to another application (say Safari) and the directly back to Photoshop, the Photoshop window is active but the Safari toolbar remains and none of the palettes show up. If you then click on the desktop and back to Photoshop again - voila! Again, intermittently, but this is Apple and Adobe we're takling about - big players who ought to care about this sort of thing. God knows I've complained about it enough!

These are known issues, but Adobe seem focused on CS4 for the time being...

PeterBarlow said:
Best to use InDesign as twiggy pointed out, its tied in with CS!

Yeah and it looks like its here to stay...well at least for a couple of years before something better comes along.

To be honest i think most designers use indesign but printers will use quark because it is a little bit better.

Cheers Guys!

Good advice XD will look out for the other software you mentioned at some point!

(After exhausting InDesign :p)

Old thread I know but just wondering whether your on an Power PC or Intel Mac Dazzer? I had a nightmare with the whole of CS3 suite on my old mac but since getting an Intel Mac never had an issue.

RussellHall said:
Old thread I know but just wondering whether your on an Power PC or Intel Mac Dazzer? I had a nightmare with the whole of CS3 suite on my old mac but since getting an Intel Mac never had an issue.

Me?

Power PC?!

Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800.....

Is that right? Thats the processor, crap with the hardware part of computing :confused:

Back