Adobe illustrator - How can I retrieve work from an hour ago?

@GCarlD

Hi Guys,

So I'm happily working anyway in Adobe Illustrator, only to notice I have somehow deleted parts of my vector that I have worked on previously, I've got a habit of saving ever so often so I can't get back my work via 'Revert' and I have hit Undo as far back as it will allow but unfortunately it hasn't gone back far enough to retrieve my work.

Are there temp files or any way I can get my work back from an hour ago? It is a file I had been working on yesterday and continued working away today...

Sorry this was a bit of a panic post, mods feel free to delete this thread.

@scotty Ah mate, this has taught me a valuable lesson (that I already knew but was being stupid and paid for it); I was fuming :mad: because I have no idea how I lost half my work from the artboard. The only thing that has literally just come to mind is at one point I used the magic wand, that may have unintentionally selected vectors off screen/ my field of view which then got deleted accidentally.

In the end it wasn't that big of a deal, as I just recreated everything I had lost. It was just really annoying and upsetting because of all the time I had put into it and lost, plus the extra time I had to spend to recreate it all again :( One of the pieces I was working on was creating a vector of a bird with its wings open at an angle, which was taking me ages (I'm not an illustrator), luckily I didn't lose that, if not I would have had to go look for the highest cliff!

I probably should but I've had my Mac for 3 years now and I've never used time machine. This is only because I like to choose what files/ folders I want to backup manually, which I don't believe is possible with time machine. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I have an external hard drive that I use to back up my work, I think it would always need to be switched on and connected for time machine to work. I don't like the idea of my external hard drive being on all the time unnecessarily.

To be fair - I think the way Windows backs up is brilliant - previous versions has saved my backside so many times.

I have hundreds of GBs worth of back up saved on my external hard drive. I use this hard drive to manually back up work from my Mac and Windows laptop. If I started to use the more automated Time Machine, will it format my external hard drive making it only usable on Macs and not on Windows PCs and if it does format my hard drive in any way, will it erase everything off the hard drive?

Back