Adobe Illustrator colour picker has slowed down???

@GCarlD

Afternoon guys,

This is a weird one, it's even strange for me to of made a thread about it I suppose, but sometimes it's the little things that really bug me!

It is a minor nuisance but when you a used to something working smooth and flawlessly, it becomes irritating.

Basically have a look at the two videos below. You will see my Adobe Illustrator's colour picker is slow to respond to changes in colour when dragging the mouse over the Hue. Compare it to my Adobe Photoshop's colour picker, it is much faster and quick to respond to the mouse's movements. This is how Adobe Illustrator's colour picker was up until a couple of days ago.

Adobe Illustrator:
[video=youtube;TuBbvYpdQ1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuBbvYpdQ1I[/video]

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Adobe Photoshop
[video=youtube;aFTlM8U9JFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFTlM8U9JFQ[/video]

This is very peculiar, I found that Photoshop usually slows you down not Illustrator.

Having said that, sometimes in Illustrator when I set specific guides for example "7mm vertical", the measurement figure automatically changes to let's say '6mm' or '8mm'. Illustrator can not settle on my chosen measurement.

Are you working on a 'heavy' design project?
May I ask how much memory RAM you have got?

Do you think your computer needs a clean up?

Everything is fast accept for that for some odd reason. I am not working on a heavy design project, in fact when I recorded these two vids I had just restarted AI & PS and opened new documents.

My Mac is 10 months old, it is a 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 and has 16GB of RAM.

This is the first Mac I have personally owned, I have been told by many people that anti-virus software is not needed on Macs (not that you suggested that). What do you mean by need a clean up? I am a bit sceptical about running programs that are meant to 'clean up' your machine due to my experiences with PCs. I find more often than not it is better to just leave it be, as these programs tend to eventually slow down your machine more than it was prior to using them.

Try resetting your illustrator preferences.

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Illustrator. Your current settings are deleted.

Remove or rename the AIPrefs file (Windows) or Adobe Illustrator Prefs file (Mac OS). New preferences files are created the next time you start Illustrator.

Try resetting your illustrator preferences.

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Illustrator. Your current settings are deleted.

Remove or rename the AIPrefs file (Windows) or Adobe Illustrator Prefs file (Mac OS). New preferences files are created the next time you start Illustrator.

Yeah that was the only thing I could think of doing regarding this issue, but weren't sure if it would have any effect, I'll give it a go though, thanks.

Wow the prefs file was hard to find on the Mac, talk about being hidden! Anyway, unfortunately as I guessed, it did not fix the problem. Am I really going to need to reinstall AI? Will that even fix it?

Thanks, I may just put up with it for now. Seems like such a hassle for such a small problem. No doubt, I will soon have enough and reinstall etc.

This issue it not something I have ever come across in all my years of using Adobe products. Thank you very much for all the above help.

Back