Adobe Edge

I look forward to not being able to block all these annoying animations (not).

Its inevitable that something like this was going to to be made. Along the same lines, I was keeping an eye on Sencha's animator which is essentially the same thing, apart from it has been in beta for the best part of a year before adobe has talked about Edge!

Its a long long way away from flash, but like I say, at least with flash you can easily block it.

Edge isn't a lot of fun to use to be honest, I've got it installed and played around with the sample files Adobe's given out. I can see the potential in this. Maybe Apple has made Adobe do this for the iPad etc.. I can't wait till it's released, Html is a lot more practical than flash.

nah apple encouraged adobe in 2005 to make a mobile version of flash available for use on upcoming devices, and adobe never produced anything good enough to meet apple's high standards.

adobe then in 2010 stuck their fingers up at apple and did the stupidly emotive campaigns named "we love apple" - to encourage people to use devices that had an outdated or beta version of flash installed instead of apple's own, flash-outlawed devices. to this day, when you visit the "install flash" page on the iphone/ipad/ipod touch, you'll be greeted by quite an annoyed adobe website that expresses that apple don't support flash.

they'll be doing this to make sure that they can make their money. they've noticed that flash is slowly depreciating and they see the need to create an app that can "easily" create html5 and css3 content - for lots and lots of money.

smart business move.

Yeah, Apple didn't want to give out the information that is confidential to them about the Apple chips (a4, a5) that would give Adobe the resources to get started on an iOS Flash, -Possible leaks of such confidential information could be bad for business.

EDIT: Thats why Flash didn't work very well with iOS devices.. But edge works pretty well, an example i've seen of this kinda content already on the web is Dupoint Technologies - Apple iPad Case & Mobile Tablet Accessories Distributors - If you look at that slideshow at the top, it plays on iPad etc.

Yeah, Apple didn't want to give out the information that is confidential to them about the Apple chips (a4, a5) that would give Adobe the resources to get started on an iOS Flash, -Possible leaks of such confidential information could be bad for business.

i don't think this is true, mainly as apple's chips aren't really apple's chips. they bought the technology, threw some more clever into it, and distributed it.

and intel are a prime example of knowing all about future releases with macs. intel give apple independent reign over their chips and graphics months before it's even announced.

it's not that flash isn't stable enough now, it's that flash isn't a mobile product. there are better, more power efficient and network efficient equivalents.

Shadzee said:
If you look at that slideshow at the top, it plays on iPad etc.
That's not html 5, that's just plain old javascript lol

tim said:
i don't think this is true, mainly as apple's chips aren't really apple's chips. they bought the technology, threw some more clever into it, and distributed it.
The a4 and a5 are based off arm architecture and use a powervr gpu last time I checked. This is all licensed from relative parties and combined with the other elements which control things like mobile connection, wifi, sockets etc

tim said:
so nothing to do with apple :p
well apple did buy p.a. semi to design their own custom chips based on the above architectures etc so.....

Back