Adobe CS5, CS6 Upgrade ...Advice!!!

Stationery Direct

Administrator
Staff member
Trying to get any sort of information out of Adobe is impossible, it seems the only advice they offer is upgrade to the monthly plan at £59 per month!!

I am currently running CS5, I have recently purchased a new home PC running Windows 10 64bit, I have installed CS5 from disk and it seems to work fine. There is a free update to CS5.5 but when I download this it will not install.

I have no idea to be honest what the difference is between CS5 and CS5.5 and if I really need the update but would like the latest non subscription based version running if at all possible.

I read somewhere that it is possible to upgrade to CS6 and that CS5 serial numbers may work but obviously trying to get confirmation of that from Adobe is impossible and I would like confirmation before giving this a go.

Any ideas or are you all on subscription now?

Last edited:
There's very little difference that I've found in Ai and Ps.

I was running CS5 until recently and the only issues I had was where I had to open 'some' files made in CC.

I think CS5.5 and up to CC tried to capitalise on the ebook market by bringing in a DPS system, which was later dumped because it was too cumbersome.

You're not missing out on anything.

I have nothing but issues with Illustrator CC. The other programs seem fine, but Illustrator is prone to random crashes and 'crash > start-up > crash' loops. If you can make do with CS5 then stick with it.

The only thing I found was the opening new files in Ai and things like textures that I'd download "was created in a newer version of Ai" but mostly they'd open up fine.

I think the only thing I'd miss in Ai it the rounding corners tool/option.

If you can't open a file in AI due to it being created in a new version, I have found that you can use File>Place and insert the file into the Artboard, then you can choose "Embed" from the top menu and all the paths etc. come into play.

Nice one!
That's one to remember.

In the past I've found that opening a file in Acrobat and saving it out from there can work too.

Back