Adobe CS4 Student Edition

In terms of downloading cracked versions, only students do that anyway. No professional with half a brain would rely on illegal software which could potentially go wrong at any time with no back-up or assistance available. You stand to loose so much more than the cost of the license.

Yeah, I agree, but it's not just students, I think that's a bit OTT. I don't download cracked versions, I buy mine, and I've known people that just want to experiment with web/graphic design, see what they can do, it's not just students.

matt said:
What do you mean that's not the point?

Say a student buys a student license for CS4 for their graphic design degree, are you telling me they're not allowed to work on live briefs? What if that same student designed a record sleeve for their mates' band as part of their degree. Then, six months after they've graduated, the band sign a record deal and want to release the record with the same artwork for the packaging? They're not allowed to, right?

My point is that, according to other posts on this thread, a student license lets you do non-commercial work with the the exact same software, at a fraction of the price, but it doesn't let you do commercial work, for that you need an identical copy of the software at a much higher cost.

This seemed flawed to me because it didn't seem like it could be true. Someone has since posted to say that the student version is in fact a limited version of the software, which as I mentioned previously, makes much more sense – do what you like with the work you create with the student version, but you're limited in the work you can create because of the limited functionality provided.
From what I read into there was no difference in the software, I may be wrong.

I may have read your post wrongly, apologies. I thought you were promoting using the non-commercial license for commercial use. In reply I was saying that it's not really the point whether you can get caught or not, but reading it back you didn't seem to say that.

I've heard that too, with the student-version not beeing legal to use for commercial projects but it's actually wrong. When you have purchased the student version you are free to do whatever the heck you want, use it for commercial purposes, keep doing it after you graduate, use the box to store cornflakes... whatever. So don't worry ;)

edit: I take it back... useless Adobe! Christ!

I know, it's so confusing isn't it! For some reason they make you search for the information, are they idiots? I only looked around for it because I wanted to be 100% sure I was doing everthing by the book, 95% of people wouldn't care unless it shouted it out at them.

Back