Adobe Certified Expert: Worth the Paper it's not written on?

Matt_Harrison

I'm new to the freelancing game after just getting out of uni. I'm balancing my time between finding freelance work and looking for full-time employment.

Do you think certifications like the ACE are worth the money? Do they impress employers/clients or are they just another smart money-spinner for Adobe Systems?

It'd be really interesting to hear you thoughts.

Matt

That's a good question that I would be quite keen on knowing the answer too also. I looked into them a while back and was quite put off by the price and the fact that they expire 90 days after a new release, which seems to be every year now with the .5 upgrades.

wac said:
That's a good question that I would be quite keen on knowing the answer too also. I looked into them a while back and was quite put off by the price and the fact that they expire 90 days after a new release, which seems to be every year now with the .5 upgrades.

Hi Wac,

I asked the same question on the Web Designer Forum. This is what we thought:

I'd say it's not worth the paper it's not written on, and exists purely as a money spinner.

Consider this: what they're actually certifying you on is proficiency with one or more of their own products, while saying nothing about your ability to perform a job that uses those products. The most you could hope that qualification to say about you is that you're a competent technician when using that specific product. Does knowledge of Photoshop make you a good designer or Premiere Pro make you a good video editor? Nope.

The only real-world job those certs actually qualifies you for is customer support for that product, so save your money.

----------------------------------------

Hi,

I agree with what you're saying. It makes complete sense to me.

I wonder though; with clients who maybe wouldn't make such a strong distinction between proficiency in design and proficient use of features in a software as you or I would. It could be a slight factor for those with weaker portfolios and less clued-up clients.

Obviously portfolio should be the single most important factor and if you have a great portfolio, an exam would pale into insignificance.

Matt

For me the fact that your certification expires when new features emerge is concerning.

Back