about printing

Lunera

¡ Hola !

I have few questions about printing... or just one remark...
er
I don't understand printing parameters for things which has been created on photoshop, in order to keep the same colors and quality on the screen and on the paper.

Could you help me to understand that ? ^^

To be honest, thats a bit of a problem. Screens are calibrated differently and without a calibrator specifically designed for true screen colours it is always going to be hard.

There isn't an exact solution.

I have a pantone book that I refer to when in doubt.

I think that might be beyond the intended scope of the question. :p

In a more basic sense you need to convert your document to CMYK, make sure any images are of a high enough resolution, make sure the fonts are sorted - stuff like that.

mrp2049 said:
To be honest, thats a bit of a problem. Screens are calibrated differently and without a calibrator specifically designed for true screen colours it is always going to be hard.

There isn't an exact solution.

I have a pantone book that I refer to when in doubt.

Mark Alexander said:
I think that might be beyond the intended scope of the question. :p

In a more basic sense you need to convert your document to CMYK, make sure any images are of a high enough resolution, make sure the fonts are sorted - stuff like that.

and then you have to hope/assume that the printer is also fully calibrated - my uni were dreadful when I was there, 3 identical printers (all epson) using the same colour settings could output different results.

And the type of paper also gives different results. Ok, so I can hope that the quality will be good or I start a new a document with a relatively low quality ?

CMYK, is it at the creation of a new document , instead of CMJN here ?

cmjn.jpg

Lunera said:
And the type of paper also gives different results. Ok, so I can hope that the quality will be good or I start a new a document with a relatively low quality ?

CMYK, is it at the creation of a new document , instead of CMJN here ?

cmjn.jpg

Yes that's it. It means the document is set up in the four colours Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black (K)(Noir). Which is primarily for setting up files for print as offset lithographic printing. This is the order in which the inks are printed too.

You will find you may not be able to get such bright colours as a file set up in RGB (RVB) as the colour gamut for four colour printing is different to that of your screen (RGB). But it will give you the most accurate start.

One way of seeing this is simply by converting an RVB file in photoshop to CMJN and watching the brightness of colours change.

If you use CMYK when you go to your printers they will print your file using the profile for their media (paper). So if it's a cream coloured stock, the profile will balance your colour settings to compensate for the cream of the card.

(nod)

Tom, I do hope you're using K as black for ease of explanation seeing as K technically stands for Key :p

Levi said:
Tom, I do hope you're using K as black for ease of explanation seeing as K technically stands for Key :p

Ha, that's proper old school Levi, and I wasn't sure the French for 'Key' would confuse things even more! Clef or something innit? Not N for Noir :D

Back