Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 scanner recommendation

Discussion in 'General Software & Hardware Forum:' started by gprovan, Aug 21, 2012.

1. gprovan

gprovan Member

Hi All,

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent A3 scanner? I have the occasional use for one but couldn't justify spending a huge amount.
    I've seen a brand called Mustek but know nothing about them, or if their stuff's any good.

Has anyone bought one recently or used one?

Thanks,

Graeme :thumb:

2. spottypenguin

spottypenguin Active Member

If it's pretty much just for scanning (and you don't need decent quality printing from it), look at HP / Epson / Brother (although I don't like them myself) A3 all in ones second hand. You can pick them up from around £130+

* EDIT MAKE SURE IT HAS A3 SCANNING SIZE, A LOT OF THEM HAVE A4 ONLY*

3. gprovan

gprovan Member

Thanks for that. I hadn't really thought of going down the all-in-one route, but that could work. :thumb:

4. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

I think you'll struggle to get a decent A3 scanner at an affordable price - have YOU heard of Mustek?

I was looking myself a couple of years ago, but decided on a very good A4 Epson, then when I have to scan something bigger than A4 (sometimes A2!),
    I "stitch" it together in Photoshop. It saves a lot of money for just a few minutes work (ok, half an hour sometimes!).

5. gprovan

gprovan Member

Yeh, I do that too.
    We've been having more demand for scanning in paintings, drawings and the like and these tend to be more of a problem stitching together, especially the darker areas at the edge when you scan them in bits. If I could get something relatively decent for under £200 then it would actually save me some money in the long term.

I know another option is taking a photo, but I don't find this gives enough detail.

6. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

Yes, I know what you mean about the dark edges - I try and make sure mine are slightly less than full A3 when I scan them in, so I have a little
    room to play with. A perfectly flat bed would be best, but I don't think that's possible.

I know you can get one for under £200, but I would worry about the quality, but then again, I'm printing giclee quality prints. You may well find it's ok.

7. gprovan

gprovan Member

Where do you get your giclee prints done?

8. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

I do them myself on a big (ish) Epson printer.