Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A unemployed designer saying Hi

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Pickles, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Pickles

Pickles Member

Hello,

Ok I'm a graphic designer in Scotland that got made redundant from a job I adored. It's taken me a while to get over it I'll admit, so I'm here to claw my way back in.

Looking to better my self whilst the world mends it's self over the financial crisis. I'm here for advice, inspiration and to keep me from becoming a couch potato!

Kind regards
    Lynne

----------------
    Now playing: ギルガメッシュ - ドミノ
    via FoxyTunes

2. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Hi Lynne

Sorry to hear about your job, hope you find something soon.

Welcome to the forums :icon_thumbup:

Cheers

Damon

3. Cookie

Cookie Member

Hello and Welcome :)

Hello and Welcome :)

4. bryan1690

bryan1690 Member

Hi lynne , sorry to hear about your job loss , im new here and starting out on my career in graphics , any advice , im from Glasgow

5. Pickles

Pickles Member

Nice to hear from you.

Hello Bryan

Nice to hear from you. Are you at Uni in Glasgow?

If your just staring out learn from my mistakes and don't stand still!!! The best things to do (in my view) is to generate as much work as possible and get yourself online. Start up your own projects and make it your mission to learn something new from each project be it a new technique, process or just knowing your way around the creative suite. Keep an eye on web based processes too, it's something that's in demand and will make you more employable in the future! :icon_biggrin:

Check out these guys if you need help learning the basics of the software packages:
    CreativeTechs Classes

Also check out Computer Arts. It's a fantastic magazine:
    Computer Arts - 31 tips for a better portfolio

Hope it helps, let me know how things go. I wish you all the best :icon_cheers:

Lynne

6. Mercy Design

Mercy Design Member

lynda is another fantasic site for learning new stuff.

good luck with the job hunt- It's slow but not stopped. we're a small agency & we're riding it our pretty well- keep your portfolio (and your mind) fresh.

x

7. Mercy Design

Mercy Design Member

8. SOTRC

SOTRC New Member

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your job... hope everything works out for you.

9. Pickles

Pickles Member

Thanks for the support. I believe it's time to reinvent myself and keep pushing. I plan to use my time to sharpen my existing skills and become a better designer!!!