A strange 'Religious' request

Paulbenf

Just wondering if anyone else has a had a graphic design request from a guy called Larry Taylor:

"Hello there, i want you to know that this is the first time I will be doing a Logo design so I can only give you details then you can decide on Colors and designs. I need you to make 3 designs writing " GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME AND ALL THE TIME HE WILL BE GOOD" in the logo and 3 designs writing "THOSE WHO TRUST IN THE LORD SHALL FIND NEW STRENGTH". making 6 Logo designs. I need you to include religious images like cross or dove bird to make the Logos look more different and my budget for this is £1500."

I have asked for examples of what he likes and received some pencil sketches almost immediately. The email came through my website which shows that I am Toys and Games predominately so I am suspicious given the religious context.

I have asked for further contact details from him and have received nothing so far. Has anyone else received the same email?

Thanks Paul

Just wondering if anyone else has a had a graphic design request from a guy called Larry Taylor:

"Hello there, i want you to know that this is the first time I will be doing a Logo design so I can only give you details then you can decide on Colors and designs. I need you to make 3 designs writing " GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME AND ALL THE TIME HE WILL BE GOOD" in the logo and 3 designs writing "THOSE WHO TRUST IN THE LORD SHALL FIND NEW STRENGTH". making 6 Logo designs. I need you to include religious images like cross or dove bird to make the Logos look more different and my budget for this is £1500."

I have asked for examples of what he likes and received some pencil sketches almost immediately. The email came through my website which shows that I am Toys and Games predominately so I am suspicious given the religious context.

I have asked for further contact details from him and have received nothing so far. Has anyone else received the same email?

Thanks Paul
Not had it myself but if he's willing to pay up 50% in advance then nothing to stop you taking it on imo. If he isn't prepared to pay 50% up front then the odds are you wouldn't get it at the end either so.... in essence no real loss in a few emails etc.

edit: also if you're techy you can always go into the email details and check mail headers and stuff to see if it's coming from a 'real address' etc

I Agree totally Levi, that was my next move.
Not that 'techy' unfortunately but I am sure that asking for upfront payment will give me guidance.

Hey Paul!

Not come across the name myself, but the fact he's sent sketches etc sounds ok to me, as long as you get at least half up front due to the lack of contact details etc.

Hey Paul!

Not come across the name myself, but the fact he's sent sketches etc sounds ok to me, as long as you get at least half up front due to the lack of contact details etc.
Thanks Ian, I have emailed back and asked for upfront payment. Lets see what his response is. At the end of the day £1500 is a sizable budget so I wouldn't not want to do the work.

Paul

This guy has asked if he can pay by credit card.. I dont have that facility and told him to use Paypal.. got this response.....

"I want you to know my credit card can not process through paypal and Square i should have rectify the issue but due to my illness am unable to go there in person , that why am asking if you have any other merchant if No i want you to download another merchant to run the card Here are card processor URL's my credit card work with perfectly stripe merchant or ingenico merchant and add the setup fees to my total estimate and get back to me when done. "

They will pay too much money and ask you to transfer the extra back to them. They will then do a charge back on the CC leaving you out of pocket.

It's a well known scam.

Personally I'd be going no to credit cards as well. It's far too easy for a credit card to be 'claimed back'.

I wouldn't be setting up an account with another merchant just for one client either, ignoring the fact that if he can't use paypal or square then there's usually a reason. So I'd avoid the client imo, send a polite response saying that sorry that you're no longer interested type of thing.

It does sound more dodgy by the minute. Why can't he do a bank transfer, if you're ok with that, or is he from abroad?

Only you know how legit he seems re the sketches etc he sent, but these can easily be done of course. Even if he just wants them for a Facebook page or something, he must have
some social media details to prove who he is etc.

Thing is. If this is a scam then I'm sure they'd be set up to make it look legit and even to the extent of bogus social media.

It's just the way it's written that makes me smell a rat.

I must admit that right from the start I was suspicious due to the nature of the brief which clearly isn't an area I work with. I agree with what everyone is saying and there is no way I would set up a credit card account. So it's a no longer interested form me. Thanks for the advise everyone. Much appreciated :)

I must admit that right from the start I was suspicious due to the nature of the brief which clearly isn't an area I work with. I agree with what everyone is saying and there is no way I would set up a credit card account. So it's a no longer interested form me. Thanks for the advise everyone. Much appreciated :)

If it were me and I was sure it was a scam then I'd be SO tempted to troll them. ;)

That whole email would be ringing alarm bells for me: No mention a name or website. A decent budget that they disclose up front. Odd use of English. I'd assume it was a scam and wouldn't risk giving out any financial details at all.

PXjZ.gif

I got the same email from someone named "Larry Taylor". They even texted me first.

"Hello there, i want you to know that this is the first time I will be doing a Logo design so I can only give you details then you can decide on Colors and designs. I need you to make 3 designs writing " GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME AND ALL THE TIME HE WILL BE GOOD" in the logo and 3 designs writing "THOSE WHO TRUST IN THE LORD SHALL FIND NEW STRENGTH". making 6 Logo designs. I need you to include religious images like cross or dove bird to make the Logos look more different and my budget for this is $1500."

I just revived this from someone named Joel Barry...

I need you to make 3 designs writing " GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME" in the logo and 3 designs writing "THOSE WHO TRUST IN THE LORD SHALL FIND NEW STRENGTH". making 6 Logo designs. I need you to include religious images like cross or dove bird to make the Logos look more different.

Also want you to know the design will be printed on T-shirts, Mugs and banner.

Kindly see sample design for reference.

Back